winterizing my whaler

demco99

Taking my first boat, a 19' Boston whaler outrage to a storage lot in Richmond this week from Burrard Civic. Wondering about what procedures I need to follow to winterize the boat/motor. The engine is 2004 Suzuki 200hp 4-stroke. I will be covering the hull with tarps, basically wondering how else I need to protect it??

Thanks for any help fellas

i wouldnt mess around with that package, take it to a dealer and have them do it. Cheaper than finding out you missed something doing it yourself.

img3937n.jpg

actually its reasonably simple.First fill fuel tank and stabelize the fuel. Change the eng oil and gear oil. Take it for a rip in fresh water if you can, or run it on muffs long enough for the stabelized fuel to make its way through the whole fuel system... will take a while on muffs. May be a good idea at this point to check the cooling water zincs, dont forget about the one in the mid section, you'll have to remove the plastic cover to access it. Dont be intimidated by it, theyre quite easy to work on. Remember to store the unit trimmed down.

You can go one step farther by removing spark plugs and add fogging oil to each cylinder.

Or you can take it to a dealer and have them do it for 500$.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

actually its reasonably simple.First fill fuel tank and stabelize the fuel. Change the eng oil and gear oil. Take it for a rip in fresh water if you can, or run it on muffs long enough for the stabelized fuel to make its way through the whole fuel system... will take a while on muffs. May be a good idea at this point to check the cooling water zincs, dont forget about the one in the mid section, you'll have to remove the plastic cover to access it. Dont be intimidated by it, theyre quite easy to work on. Remember to store the unit trimmed down.

You can go one step farther by removing spark plugs and add fogging oil to each cylinder.

Or you can take it to a dealer and have them do it for 500$.
X2

Plus, open the access to any of your compartments and if you have a fresh water tank, buy some RV fresh water 'anti freeze' put it in the tank and run it through the lines and/or drain those lines, including the pump.

Also change the fuel filter or at least drain it if its a racor as sometimes there is water in them especially if you run it with the fuel stabizer thru it, Racor makes a very good one it treats something like 1 oz for evry 5 gallons or something got the same one now for about 5 yrs I put it into everything my ATV,chainsaws,generators etc

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

one last question... Is it still necessary to winterize it if I find heated indoor storage for it?

quote:Originally posted by demco99

one last question... Is it still necessary to winterize it if I find heated indoor storage for it?

nope, thats what i do. but I do all the maintenance it needs for next year before i put it away, so shes turn key and ready to go when ever i want :D.
The constant temperature too wont cause fuel condensation nearly as bad either, and is much better for everything - especially the metals and motor parts. i open everything up to let it air out and dry aswell.

img3937n.jpg

You need to fog the cylinders heated or not and run stabelized fuel into the carbs. I stored mine in a heated garage and had to have all 6 carbs rebuilt in the spring $1000. Running bigger engines with the ear muffs is questioned. The impeller can be damaged if water is not full and constant.

I have three 25 ltr. boat gas cans full of mixed gas. Can I add Sta-Bil to them without running it through my engine to preserve the fuel for the winter? Thanks in advance. eman

quote:Originally posted by eaglemaniac

I have three 25 ltr. boat gas cans full of mixed gas. Can I add Sta-Bil to them without running it through my engine to preserve the fuel for the winter? Thanks in advance. eman

Yes. But you also want to run a stabilizer through your engine as well so that fuel in the lines, carb etc doesn't varnish on you and cause an assortment of issues.

TenMile
<'((((><

Back