Winch Strap Over or Under?

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Does it make a difference which way you spool your strap? I have always come off the top, but yesterday when installing my new Fulton F2 2 speed winch going over the top rubbed my bow pad so I spooled it off the bottom and it seems way better. It just seems strange....

As long as you crank in a clockwise rotation, and it pulls the boat right up to the
pad, I think you are good to go. BTW, how do you like the new crank?.......BB

Just went thru this last weekend putting new sythetic wire rope on my power winch. It spools from the top. I put it on wrong initially spooling from the bottom. When I plugged it in and tested it, I figured out I had to re-spool it from the top. Not sure if thats the industry standard or not, but, definitley top in my case.

Why clockwise?

I can set this unit up to crank either way and from either side. I like the fact there are no extras on the unit. It so easy to use.

That's kinda like the toilet paper question, I've never figured out which way is best. LOL

In hindsight, I would think you could produce more torque with it coming in on the bottom, clockwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either way, so long as the bow eye pulls straight in without the boat being pulled downward or being lifted it doesn't,t matter top or bottom. Having the winch at the proper height on the winch post is more important.

With a bit of practice you can run the boat on the trailer right to the roller, then it doesn't matter which way you spool the crank.

With a bit of practice you can run the boat on the trailer right to the roller, then it doesn't matter which way you spool the crank.

Love to see it. We will use you boat first. I am pulling my boat out of 8-10 inches of water and onto my trailer.

That is the way I load mine, 5 minutes max and am out of the way.

Again you do it your way I will do it mine. I cannot launch my boat in 8-10" of water so I would not have to pull it out there. The places I can launch my boat I drive it up the trailer and winch the last few inches by hand. Yes I do have an audience and I learned how to do it when I had work doing this.

OK you want to go first?

Again...Love to see it. I am pulling my boat out of 8-10 inches of water and onto my trailer.

You want to try?

Back