Which side to install kicker?

Olde School

My boat's passenger seating is all on the port side. The kicker is on the port side of the pod. When we are at cruise speed it takes significant tab to level the boat our since the kicker and 3 people outweigh me ;-)
I'm considering having a new pod made, and wondering if there would be any downside to having the bracket for the kicker made on the star board side.
Do you run your kicker on the starboard side? What is that like?

What model and length of hull, how is the deck configured and what are you running for main power?

Sounds like an outboard for the main so in fact I would want until that is all sorted beige drilling any new holes then I would assess the best location for the kicker.

My boat's passenger seating is all on the port side. The kicker is on the port side of the pod. When we are at cruise speed it takes significant tab to level the boat our since the kicker and 3 people outweigh me ;-)
I'm considering having a new pod made, and wondering if there would be any downside to having the bracket for the kicker made on the star board side.
Do you run your kicker on the starboard side? What is that like?

I had a 21’ Striper that I installed a 9.9 kicker on the Starboard side. It had an inset boarding ladder on the Port side swim grid that I didn’t want to move. On that boat even when I was alone it wasn’t an issue really with tabbing. I made the connecting rod myself and work as well as it did in my boat before it and my current one. With your seating being the way it is I would do it for sure.

Attachments

• kicker1.jpg
    kicker1.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 55
  • Kicker2.jpg
    Kicker2.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 55
  • kicker3.jpg
    kicker3.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 48
  • kicker4.jpg
    kicker4.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
No brainer if all your seating is on port then have the pod made so kicker is on starboard side. The only time you will be at a disadvantage is when you are alone.

What’s the reason why they are always on the port side? Weight distribution while fishing solo? Docking is easier when approaching the starboard side so you don’t want to smash the kicker off the dock? The way the prop spins works better to make turns if the kicker is on the port side? I suppose that all my wiring goes up the starboard side, so maybe it’s just to get some weight onto the port side.

Anyone know the answer or is it all of the above?

Iva had kickers on either side it doesnt really matter just make sure you have batteries on opposite side of where ever you put it or counter balance with spare cannon balls etc. i never noticed any difference in turning. ive even seen way bigger boats then mine on the strd side

There is some 'received' knowledge that having your transducer on the starboard side is better because of the disturbed water from your regular rotation prop is worse on the port side.

I say received knowledge because we all know it is just bad luck to have it on starboard and you will catch no fish.

It really depends on the size of the boat, the bigger you are the less you will feel the kicker weight affect the balance.

There is some 'received' knowledge that having your transducer on the starboard side is better because of the disturbed water from your regular rotation prop is worse on the port side.

I say received knowledge because we all know it is just bad luck to have it on starboard and you will catch no fish.

also: don’t paint orcas on the bottom of your boat. boy ….what a bad fishing season that was

It may have something to do with all the cables and gas lines coming out of the hole in the starboard rear. More room to make a nice arc in the steering and shift cables.

Back