Which hand-held GPS?

Seafever

Am looking around for a hand-held GPS that I can take with me on the boat. I had an Etrex Venture HC......it died. It had a compass and boat speed, but basemap was pretty basic. I now have a Legend HCx that I acquired ....will take Micro Sd cards....but it's still pretty basic . Was thinking of getting the "Oregon" model with the built in Canada topography on it.....screen is a little bigger but I'd still have to buy g2 Micro-sd card for the water charts. If you use a handheld for occasional use on your boat.......what brand/model did you decide to go with?

I have a Lowrance Expedition c Handheld with a color screen and Navionics Gold chart Chip as a back up and for going on friends boats without GPS. It has been extremely accurate and reliable even though it is a little dated now and I am not sure if it is even a current model.

Because it uses very similar software/user interface as my big 10 inch Lowrance on the boat, it is very easy for me to use and had an easy initial learning curve.

Use the 12 volt boat power adapter or carry extra batteries as it goes through them if you keep the screen back lighting on bright which is the way I like it.

I had a Lowrance H2O w/Navoncs gold, was a great handheld gps. Sold it with the boat.

Picked up an Oregon 450 w/Topo Canada, just getting used to it, but so far it is way better than the old Lowrance.

Check out GPS City, GPS Central and Costco. I picked up the Oregon for $249 with free shipping from GPS Central, GPS City and Costco had the 450 w/o the topo for $199. These prices were last week.

I know new Lowrances are also getting great reviews as well, I just like the Orgon for all the free maps you can get.

Cheers

SS

I have had Magellan handheld GPS's and there OK. I would go with a Garmin if I were buying new now. They now are the industry leader, although a bit more $, you can buy accessories and get service for them all over. My 2 bits.

SitkaSpruce:- I think the Oregon models have bigger screen....that's a plus. I looked up reviews on Lowrances.....for handhelds they were not that great in some instances. I know certain Oregon's can be got with a built-in Canada topo map ......but I was unaware you could get FREE maps for them. Where do you find these freebies?

I'd vote for the navionics app on a smart phone or on a gps enabled tablet. You can do so much more with these devices then a handheld marine GPS I imagine the handheld GPS (much like the car GPS) are on the way out since phones can now do everything they can plus a whole lot more.

I'd vote for the navionics app on a smart phone or on a gps enabled tablet. You can do so much more with these devices then a handheld marine GPS I imagine the handheld GPS (much like the car GPS) are on the way out since phones can now do everything they can plus a whole lot more.

Not so sure of that. The good purpose built handhelds are armored and very rugged for backpacking and hunting etc and rated for saltwater submersion.

My fly in backpacking hunting trips are behind me now, but you get what you pay for and my safety in the backwoods or on a boat in the fog is not something I would want to leave to an app on a smart phone or tablet unless it was built to the same standards.

PS mine has a few bells and whistles like a music player and altimeter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back