Where to get Volvo parts.

Heading to tofino from Alberta on Tuesday. Need a thermostat for a 85 Volvo Penta 350. Any parts places in kamloops or on the way on the island I should check out. Will be going through the lower mainland after the stores close.

check lordco or westcan in kamloops. maybe even canadian tire...

I take it you're from Edson ? I'm in Hinton. I would go to Napa. Isn't the Volvo Penta 350 a small block Chev ? If so, Napa should be able to help you out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

the top of the housing that has the thermocouple inside has Volvo part numbers on it. the housing has a bottom gasket on it and is bolted to the block. I assume I will be a Volvo part but im not much of a boat mechanic.

The 350 or 5.7 litre is a GM engine. Just get a thermostat to match the one you have. I am guessing a 165 degree thermostat, but don't quote me on that.

The 350 or 5.7 litre is a GM engine. Just get a thermostat to match the one you have. I am guessing a 165 degree thermostat, but don't quote me on that.
X2 Same motor just match the temp. I think daddystoy is right 165 degree

thanks for the help guys. I will take it into an automotive place first. I cant remember what a chev thermostat looks like but the one out of the boat looks a little odd compared to to the automotive ones I have seen. it had holes to allow some flow even when its shut and full flow when the spring opens.

X2 Same motor just match the temp. I think daddystoy is right 165 degree

The Volvo thermostat is part number 418991 (160 degrees) for closed cooling.

there is a volvo junkyard up just past mill bay not sure of thre name but maxwells (another junkyard) across the street and down a bit would know. I would def go new from lordco first if they have it of course.

thanks for the help guys. I will take it into an automotive place first. I cant remember what a chev thermostat looks like but the one out of the boat looks a little odd compared to to the automotive ones I have seen. it had holes to allow some flow even when its shut and full flow when the spring opens.

I know what I would do. If NAPA can supply a thermostat with the same dimensions and temp rating, but not enough bypass holes, I would just drill the extra holes required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't think they come with bypass holes. I didn't see any on mine. In fact, I doubt if thermostats ever come with such holes?

I have the Chev based Volvo engine with the closed cooling system and I run a 180 degree stat,you get a much better burn with the higher temp.This is what my mechanic told me

Cheers

Lots of thermostats have bypass or failsafe design to provide at least partial opening.

I have the Chev based Volvo engine with the closed cooling system and I run a 180 degree stat,you get a much better burn with the higher temp.This is what my mechanic told me

Cheers

You are correct, Wireman. I've been a mechanic over 30 years and a cold running engine is definitely much less efficient. Most new engines run at 190+* F.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be fishing.

Ah... he doesn't have a new engine; it's 27 years old. Are you saying he shouldn't run a 160 degree thermostat that it probably came with?

Would the thermostat temp rating not depend on whether he is running a raw water system or a closed cooling system? I didn't read the OP mentioned that?

The old VP's ran 160 degree thermostats for closed and 140 for raw.

Back