Where have all the Salmon gone to

Island_bern

There are OOO's of theories of what is happening to all the Salmon on the Coast... Me, I have live all my life on Vancouver Island. In the 60's...70's..& 80s - our family enjoyed the bounty of the sea...Salmon, cod, halibut (other rock fish), Prawn, crab...and all typs of shell fish.... Yup...hard to believe them days are gone.

If I wanted a fresh salmon...30 min I was on the water and in 10-30 min, we had a fresh fish... I remember the days when hugh kelp harvesting barges stripped the coast line of the 100 metre wide kelp bed along the shore line. Herring 2 pounds.. now we see 1-2 ft thick of roe washed up on the beaches... YUP... needle fish, smelt, hoolegins....it was always fun to catch a few in the light of the moon...Yup...hard to believe them days are gone.

I grew up on near a local river... Salmon, trout, steelhead... its true, one could walk on the fish there were so many... Logging, mining, Hurbicide sprays, un-due care with roads and hwy building... Sure there are a few rivers with a few fish coming to spawn...but what happened to all the salmon?

Everyone seems have a reason for the disapearance of the salmon...but know one seems to have a solution...

I remember the days when hugh kelp harvesting barges stripped the coast line of the 100 metre wide kelp bed along the shore line.

Not going to get into all the “Doom and Gloom here, but I do believe the statement I quote is of more significance than many give attention too.

April & May 2018 was the Best Salmon Fishing in Living Memory where I live.

2017 was better for me (though I don’t get out often enough to really judge). I remember having to pull the lines in just to have lunch.

Should get really good in the next few years if Washington bumps up the hatchery production as they say there are.

I remember the days when hugh kelp harvesting barges stripped the coast line of the 100 metre wide kelp bed along the shore line.

Not going to get into all the “Doom and Gloom here, but I do believe the statement I quote is of more significance than many give attention too.

Can somebody elaborate on this? Was kelp commercially harvested years ago? Truly in a clear-cut fashion? And why hasn't it grown back?

Can somebody elaborate on this? Was kelp commercially harvested years ago? Truly in a clear-cut fashion? And why hasn't it grown back?

Yes it was commercially harvested.

To my underanding and from memories of a conversation at a SFAC meeting The reason much did not grow back is because at the time of that early harvest they assumed that both types of kelp reproduced in the same manor. As they later learned they do not, and by harvesting them in the same way they ended up removing the source of reproduction of bull kelp (I believe) leaving the plant unable to come back.

Again this is from memory, I am no expert. If I need corrected please feel free to do so. Anyone?

too many urchins, not enough otters has aided in the unbalance as well as the mistake of over harvest of bull kelp.

too many urchins, not enough otters has aided in the unbalance as well as the mistake of over harvest of bull kelp.

Agree!! This is true.

And did it not end up that New critters became abundant as a result? Then the adjustment was made as to what would be commercially harvested and now a comeback of otters is seen as a threat of a different kind????

I will take the kelp if having a choice!!!!

Last edited:
Back