What's your choice of F/F

• Thread starter Thread starter roscoe-pco
  • Start date Start date
R

roscoe-pco

Well since I can't really decide what to get I thought I'd ask around, the only real use I have for a gps/plotter is when I do the once a year trip to renfrew then head out to the bank, so I don't need anything real fancy, I am a river fisherman at heart:)
I have always had no problems with humminbird so I was thinking of the Matrix series as size is the concern, not much room on my dash, so finally here's the question- What would your choice be, not looking for the best one nor the cheapest either cause hey you get what you pay for, Thanks guys.

If space is an issue I would highly recommend the Lowrance LMS-525 (or LMS-527 internal antenna). Great bang for your buck with a 5" full color screen.

Picked up a garmin 172c on ebay for a 200.00. It had a florida chart in it and garmin traded me for a west coast one for only 50 more. This thing is great and very user friendly

I have the LMS 525 and it is perfect for the average boater/fisherman. Easy to use and maneuver around in. Only problem is the $600 bill price tag and then another $200 beans for the chart. I'd find buying anything like that from Ebay pretty risky but then some people do get lucky. Not me with cameras anyhoo.

I agree with you the 172C is a great unit, however I thought he wanted suggestions on a combo unit, and the 172c is GPS only. Now he could go with a Garmin 178C which would be the equivalent unit in a combo, however they have been discontinued and are difficult to come by, except maybe on ebay. Which as mentioned I would find a bit risky, but if your willing to take the chance there are deals to be had!!!

I have owned four Garmin gps/plotters and have been happy with all of them and the 178c is a good unit! But I wouldn't buy an outdated unit?? If you don’t want to install an antenna, just get an internal. Makes life easyier and I have had two of those and they work fine! If you want to keep expenses down look for an authorized Garmin dealer that has refurbished units! I have done business with the Garmin Outlet Store before and their prices aren't bad, but there is an outfit in California which is Marine.com that usually beats their price.

quote:Originally posted by Concerned Angler
[br]I know that others like the Garmin warantee-- but I dont. I have had Garmina GPS and a sounder both expire within one month of the one yr warantee. They cut me NO slack--- "Too bad - so sad" was the story--- screw em. Lowrance/Eagle from now on.

My experience with Garmin!

Bought a 178c (off ebay).
Called Garmin and advised I had recieved the wrong chart... the chart I had was for the east coast. Garmin gave me a control #... sent the wrong chart back. They sent me a new chart!

Liked the 178c so much, I bought another!
While installing the transducer (which I installed wrong), I broke the lock down clip. Called Garmin and told them what I did and I broke installing it wrong... No problem! Sent me a new transducer!
Recieved the transducer 50 watt... called Garmin told them I broke a 50/200 watt... they advised no problem... sent me another 50/200 at not cost!

Don't know, but could be I called the US number vs a CA number?
But I was impressed with their service!

I have compared Garmin to other FF's like Humminbird, Lowrance, Furuno and Raymarine for sevarl years now and the Garmin's don't compete well. Dollar for dollar Garmin's have less features, functionality and performance then the brands listed above.

Another way of putting is the brands above are commercial grade (and usually cost a bit more) and Garmin is recreational grade. If you are simpply looking for a well made unit with just basic feature and functionality they are fine. Just my 2 bits.

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water
[br]I have compared Garmin to other FF's like Humminbird, Lowrance, Furuno and Raymarine for sevarl years now and the Garmin's don't compete well. Dollar for dollar Garmin's have less features, functionality and performance then the brands listed above.

Another way of putting is the brands above are commercial grade (and usually cost a bit more) and Garmin is recreational grade. If you are simpply looking for a well made unit with just basic feature and functionality they are fine. Just my 2 bits.

Have you owned one ???
it's easy to make comparisons but if you haven't actually put one to
the test, forget it.
I have 2 Garmin GPS , they have both worked well and there is
excellent support.
suggest you road test before you slam the product [B)]

The boat I just bought came with a Garmin 172c. I just bought the transducer module for it and now it's a combo unit. So far I'm very impressed.

You guys are NOT making this any easier!!!! I have always used humminbird and liked them but no-one suggests them hmmmm I got a couple weeks left to decide, not many places carry them out here in the valley looks like stevston marine is the only place I know of that has any selection, thing is I notice their online price is sometimes 40% off store price???

I have a Humminbird depth sounder Matrix 17, it works well
reads the bottom at speed.
i have seen their plotter's, not sure what cartography they run on
but i'll bet it woulld be fine.

I too have always used humminbird but after some research and recommendations I finally purchased a Garmen 400c this after noon. I will be installing it tomorrow. I just couldn't get up the nerve to spend the extra cash for a duel unit.

quote:Originally posted by jamaf

I too have always used humminbird but after some research and recommendations I finally purchased a Garmen 400c this after noon. I will be installing it tomorrow. I just couldn't get up the nerve to spend the extra cash for a duel unit.

Get the dual unit! :)

Back