What's too many hours

Tellyman

I'm looking to buy a new boat to me, with a 175 Johnson Ocean Runner with 375 hrs on it. Is that too many, or what is too many? Thanks in advance

Varying opinions on Johnson here... Had a 115 Ocean Runner (late 90's vintage) that is on my old boat, sold to a good friend. It is solid, runs great, and when trimmed right gets the boat motivated.
When running to charge batts, etc, it does do some odd moves.... RPM goes from 1050 or so on tach (have to get it up a little bit to charge) to 2050 or so in pulses at times.... otherwise, my experience is that they are great motors, not too thirsty, and easy to service.

375 hours is fine, as long as it was looked after and not abused.
Abuse would be things such as improperly mixing fuel...

Yep, 375 hours is not bad at all. Should be lots of life left in that motor if it was taken care of.

The most important item when buying a used motor is to check cylinder compression. Readings should be 100psi or more and no more than 10% difference in readings between cylinders. You can pick up a compression gauge from cdn tire for less than 50 bucks.

Also it's best to get a sea trial. A motor might run fine on water muffs but show problems out on the water.

cheers

I agree with trendsetter, water test or willing to take to a boat shop with a dyno. with some load you can hear if she starts to get noisy in the top rpm range

It really depends on how the motor has been looked after.
at 375 hours, if broken in correctly,had the proper oil changes etc.
it should be a good motor.
I believe the V4'S were good engines, while the larger model V6'S were quite problematic.

It really depends on how the motor has been looked after.
at 375 hours, if broken in correctly,had the proper oil changes etc.
it should be a good motor.
I believe the V4'S were good engines, while the larger model V6'S were quite problematic.

What year is it? If it is a 1998 or 1999 run away ! These were the infamous FICHT blowup years. They affected the 135/150/175 models. Unfortunately they ruined the reputation of OMC who IMHO have and do produce some of the best motors on the market.

beemer

What year is it? If it is a 1998 or 1999 run away ! These were the infamous FICHT blowup years. They affected the 135/150/175 models. Unfortunately they ruined the reputation of OMC who IMHO have and do produce some of the best motors on the market.

beemer

Just to clarify a bit more. Oceanrunners were produced in both carbuerated and direct injection (ficht) until 2005? The blowups were the 1998-1999 ficht ones. The carbed models can and will run forever , but are thirsty.

beemer

Thirsty like most old school 2-strokes,
the power to weight ratio is much better than 4-strokes
but they do guzzle gas.

I believe it is a 1997. Is there problems with that year?

if it is a ficht motor (direst injection) I would probably stay away unless you are good with a wrench. if it is a carbeurated motor it is probably solid if it has been taken care of..

Thirsty is a relative term. Four strokes and high performance direct injection 2 strokes have the best fuel economy. Typically you can double your fuel consumption on old school carbed motors. It all depends on your driving style and how far you need to go to drop the lines.

hope that helps you.

beemer

375 hours on motor-

if you had a motor and did 5 trips a year and ran the engine continuously for 4 hours per trip.....375 hours would give you approx 19 years of service.

Some guys use the main motor for trolling.....but.....using a kicker for trolling is less money in the long run.

A kicker only costs about 3or 4 grand to replace....the main motor could cost many times that.

375 hours is not that much.....if it was used privately.......but a charter engine could rack those figures up in no time.

if your engine was serviced well on a regular basis...and used a very good quality oil for mixing....should be no problem.
if it was ran on cheap oil it could be carboned up a bit.....but you can use Merc "Quickclean" to get rid of the carbon.

Impeller should be checked.....lots of guys don't replace them for years and years.

Also leg oil.....you can never change that too often.

Back