What size motor do I need????????

albernifisher

I'm putting a pod on my 24 1/2 foot searay,With the inboard and leg it weighs 4050lbs and with them out it should be around 3500lbs. What type of power should I put on it,will a 225 be to small?

Zuk,250-300hp seems comon for that weight and size,you will be 5000 + lbs wet with 4 persons onboard, nice hull btw:cool:, build a pod that has deck space!/floatation?!not justa bracket style pod? what type of pod? almost full witdth of hull x 20" long? curious on pods right know as a buddy is puttin one on. going to try and help him:o,,, did you say twins? maybe 150's?

Last edited by a moderator:
Claytons 24 ft Searay is well powered with a 225 but I think it is a bit lighter than yours. Might have to go 250. If you want Gary I'll send him a email as he has powered a ton of boats at the shop.

A single 225 or 250 should be fine. Have you thought about twins? If your thinking about tuna fishing twins is nice piece of mind. Twin 135 or 150's would be cool:cool:.

The pod is going to be a full width flotation type that has the same shape of the boat, I've been thinking about twin 150 optis or just keeping my 200 off my other boat and finding a match to have twin 200's

Gary.. Definitely dont chance under powering it. A 250 will be plenty but I think you will regret going with anything smaller.

Okay,I have a couple questions... I've read that a 250 4stroke has the same power as a 225 2 stroke???
Come on guys, whats everybody else running on their 24's? what type of speed are you getting?

I run twin 225 Merc 4 stroke on a Conquest 295. Over trice the weight you are talking. The twins I am running re just enough... Stick with IFL's recommendation for the 250!

Don't confuse Torque, CID & HP? There can be more CID, but the horsepower is measured at the prop and will still be 250 on the 4 stroke and 225 on the 2 stroke.

You just might have a hard time finding a “new” Yamaha 225 Offshore, 2 stroke? There is a reason for that.

I run a 200 Evinrude 2 stroke on my striper. It weighs in at about 4000 dry and probably close to 6000 with a full tank the kicker, radar, liferaft, dowriggers, safety gear, fishing gear, etc etc etc. I wish I had 250 on the back. When its time to repower, it'll be a 250 Yamie four stroke, no question. Go with the 250 and you'll never regret it. If you go with twins, go 2 x 150. You won't get on plane with a single 150, so you'll be limited to hull speed (or slighly better) and your maintenance and fuel costs will be higher, but if you are 25 miles off shore and get stuck in a big blow, you'll appreciate the power and response capabilities that a full size motor will give rather than a kicker.

Personally I'm not sold on the "new" Yamaha 4 stroke technology. They have reduced the weight big time per hp...but have done it partially by removing the steel cylinder sleeves and gone with a chromoly finish on the block's cylinder walls. This means that if anything and I mean anything happens to the cylinder walls...that block is done...throw it away. It is early yet and time will tell...just to risky at $20,000 an engine for me to jump into that pig pit.

Personally I'm not sold on the "new" Yamaha 4 stroke technology. They have reduced the weight big time per hp...but have done it partially by removing the steel cylinder sleeves and gone with a chromoly finish on the block's cylinder walls. This means that if anything and I mean anything happens to the cylinder walls...that block is done...throw it away. It is early yet and time will tell...just to risky at $20,000 an engine for me to jump into that pig pit.
Thanks PF, I knew that they were vigourously reducing the weight and had gone to polymer intake and exhaust, but did not know about the chromoly linings in the cylinders. Much appreciated

Cheers

m2b

my 24 Striper is loaded ,HEAVY , not sure the total loaded weight , she might be a bit heavier than yours , not %100 ,
i have twin 150's (efi 2strokes) LOVE IT , i cant speak on behalf of others , MY rig does get up on step with only one motor , ( 1 completely outta the water ) 4 guys onboard ,
takes a few seconds , but , once up , i cruise at 18mph , top speed of 22mph , bailed me out once already , had a fuel primer ball fail , 12 miles offshore..
4 stroke may be different . Hole shot is insane ( doesn't really matter on a tuna boat lol , but cool ) top speed varies , normally 3-4 guys close ta 50mph , 5k rpm ,
not often used on the wcvi , BUT , i cruise 25 - 30mph at 3k - 35k rpm , dont beat the snot outta the motors , fuel is not to bad either . When pulling pots , i alternate single power , also helps on fuel savings , been on a few Stripers identical to mine , I find my rig to be a little less rocky side to side than a single outboard , more weight spread out side to side im thinkin ,

not trying ta spend ur money lol

good luck

FD

I think a 225 would be a good start, or a 250-300. It's better to have too much then too little. Twins are great too, but bear in mind that you have two oil changes, services etc etc.

(I am currently selling my twin 2008 140 Suzuki's for $12500 for the pair. They push my 26' Hourston at 39.5 MPH wide open, they have just under 700 hours on them.)

250 hp is 250hp on two or four stroke, the only diference is where the power curve is. The two stroke produces more power earlier than the four stroke. With that said if you power with four stroke use the max required and you will be happy.
Okay,I have a couple questions... I've read that a 250 4stroke has the same power as a 225 2 stroke???
Come on guys, whats everybody else running on their 24's? what type of speed are you getting?

Back