Whale watchers cramming in to Sooke Basin

Were the whales in there?
So the reports say. I can't imagine anything else but a whale would start a swarming, paparazzi parade like that. The whales are smart enough to show as little as possible when being chased by boats so they become very hard to see.

T011A has been around several days in the past months. IMHO the seals in the Basin seem extremely habituated to begging for discarded crab bait at the surface which I'm guessing makes them easy targets for a transient.

Got a video of him following a crabber boat and surfacing frequently two weeks ago when he wasn't chased by even 1 boat never mind 7. Maybe hyper ventilating to get ready for chasing dinner?

Basin Orca

I observed last year the whale horassing boats were very good at leapfrogging diving humpbacks. Always keeping there distance but amazingly being right there when they come up. Must play havoc on the whales senses and their ability to find food and each other, but I'm only a non expert observer.

I observed last year the whale horassing boats were very good at leapfrogging diving humpbacks. Always keeping there distance but amazingly being right there when they come up. Must play havoc on the whales senses and their ability to find food and each other, but I'm only a non expert observer.
humpbacks don't echo-locate

humpbacks don't echo-locate
True but @eroyd only mentioned their senses and communication generally. Humpbacks can still hear and communicate with each other at least as far as I've read. General boat noise would mess with that.

Wonder if maybe the whale chasers were using side scan sonar to follow the humpbacks.

True but @eroyd only mentioned their senses and communication generally. Humpbacks can still hear and communicate with each other at least as far as I've read. General boat noise would mess with that.

Wonder if maybe the whale chasers were using side scan sonar to follow the humpbacks.
Sounds like they are rethinking the echolocation theory as it pertains to Humpbacks.

Back