welding crack in aluminum

demco99

Hey guys - looking for reccomendations on how to fix a growing crack in the aluminum crossbar that is part of the frame for my T-Top.. I've heard welding aluminum is very tricky and have asked several friends who are welders who have all told me they don't have the equipment to do it. Anyone got a guy in the lower mainland? Sculpin you seem to be a master welder - thoughts? Picture of the crack in the link below.. there is a smaller but similar one on the other end of the bar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95555777@N05/8748099944/in/photostream

cheers guys thanks for any help!

You'll need a good welder who can do tig welding. Cracked mine in the same place as yours last year by driving like an idiot .
Got my welder to put some gussets in there to help brace It from the side to side stresses.
Seems good now and I drive slower when it's snotty.will see if I can send a pic

Welding thin aluminum gets trickier the thinner the aluminum......but with aluminum it's all about the right heat, I was told by my brother-in-law who welded for Lockheed.

You'll need a good welder who can do tig welding. Cracked mine in the same place as yours last year by driving like an idiot .
Got my welder to put some gussets in there to help brace It from the side to side stresses.
Seems good now and I drive slower when it's snotty.will see if I can send a pic

gussets sounds good to beef it up a bit. Who is your welder? thanks

Poco marine.. Pierre is an awesome welder

My quick thought is that piece of aluminum is hooped. Looks like it was over heated and lacked shielding gas, my thought is you wil not get a reliable weld over that. The tube should be cut out and replaced. :(

That is a bad spot for a crack but the obvious place for one to occur. The discoloration is from the anodizing. I think you will have to have a gusset put in there. Do the other side at the same time so it looks good lol. A one gusset crossbar looks hillbilly for sure......unless that's what your after lol. Good luck with it.

That is a bad spot for a crack but the obvious place for one to occur. The discoloration is from the anodizing. I think you will have to have a gusset put in there. Do the other side at the same time so it looks good lol. A one gusset crossbar looks hillbilly for sure......unless that's what your after lol. Good luck with it.

Come to Vancouver my man, you can touch it up and add gussets while I watch-the-rod-tips/steer-the-vessel and instruct Pippen on which 70's love ballads to-put-on-the-Clarion-to-turn-on-the-bite.. ("Bread -Everything I own" is one of his favourites)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kieth from primus metalcraft in chilliwack is a great tig/ mig welder he works for a lot of the big boat shops in the valley... his # is 604-793-2686 give him a call he will send you picks of his work and it is fine.

Kieth from primus metalcraft in chilliwack is a great tig/ mig welder he works for a lot of the big boat shops in the valley... his # is 604-793-2686 give him a call he will send you picks of his work and it is fine.

great first post, thanks jet boater, I'll be in contact with him..

Back