WCVI Chinook Outlook

searun

It is looking like the WCVI Chinook outlook is getting a little better. My understanding is the DFO Science Division presented at the SFAB meeting in Nanaimo this weekend, and the doom and gloom predictions are not as bad as previously thought.

I'll do my best to jot down what I recall of a conversation I had with someone who was in attendance - hopefully another member who was there taking notes can fill in the missing bits. Here's what I recall:

It appears one major factor in the improved outlook is the Alaskan fishery over fished their 2007 Chinook quota by 60,000 which means they have to cut back this year to give back. Apparently Alaska Fisheries is about to announce a reduction in their 2008 fishing plan. It appears this will translate to less dramatic sport fishing restrictions for B.C. than previously planned.

The news isn't as rosy for Barkley Sockeye, the word is no fishery at this point unless the run strength improves by 40,000 or more. The plan is to leave sockeye closed and monitor for run strength with a possible in-season adjustment (opening) to the plan.

All is not exactly rosy for early Fraser Chinook however - still not looking good. There are also a number of WCVI streams that are in trouble as well, which will mean some area closures or slot limits to protect individual runs of concern.

Sorry, I don't have all the details and I haven't seen any written confirmation of what I heard, so please take this with a grain of salt until we can verify - perhaps there is someone on the forum who can help fill in the blanks.

quote: Alaskan fishery over fished their 2007 Chinook quota by 60,000 which means they have to cut back this year to give back

Only problem is that Alaska increased there Chinook harvest this year by 100 000 fish. Nice thought though....

quote: Alaskan fishery over fished their 2007 Chinook quota by 60,000 which means they have to cut back this year to give back

Only problem is that Alaska increased there Chinook harvest this year by 100 000 fish. Nice thought though....

quote:Originally posted by searun

It is looking like the WCVI Chinook outlook is getting a little better. My understanding is the DFO Science Division presented at the SFAB meeting in Nanaimo this weekend, and the doom and gloom predictions are not as bad as previously thought.

I'll do my best to jot down what I recall of a conversation I had with someone who was in attendance - hopefully another member who was there taking notes can fill in the missing bits. Here's what I recall:

It appears one major factor in the improved outlook is the Alaskan fishery over fished their 2007 Chinook quota by 60,000 which means they have to cut back this year to give back. Apparently Alaska Fisheries is about to announce a reduction in their 2008 fishing plan. It appears this will translate to less dramatic sport fishing restrictions for B.C. than previously planned.

The news isn't as rosy for Barkley Sockeye, the word is no fishery at this point unless the run strength improves by 40,000 or more. The plan is to leave sockeye closed and monitor for run strength with a possible in-season adjustment (opening) to the plan.

All is not exactly rosy for early Fraser Chinook however - still not looking good. There are also a number of WCVI streams that are in trouble as well, which will mean some area closures or slot limits to protect individual runs of concern.

Sorry, I don't have all the details and I haven't seen any written confirmation of what I heard, so please take this with a grain of salt until we can verify - perhaps there is someone on the forum who can help fill in the blanks.

Wait for it as there are still a number of meetings to go.
At this point there is no official decision from DFO so we will have to wait.

quote:Originally posted by searun

Wait for it as there are still a number of meetings to go.
At this point there is no official decision from DFO so we will have to wait.

Back