Warning on electro hydraulic brakes

spring fever

Something to think on. Parked my trailer with electro hydraulic brakes at cole hrbr after a trip from comox. Bearing and brake check 3 times on the way up. No problem. Came back from WH at 6am 3 days later and both batteries are almost dead. Started to get a jump by a gas truck(tough starting a diesel) and no dice but I heard the brake actuator on the trailer. It had somehow come on while I was away and ran for 3 days and drained the batteries. Unplugged and managed to get a start. Tried to plug the trailer back in and the brakes immediatly went on. Tested the electric brake pin on the truck with no brakes applied and it was hot. Let you know tomorrow after they spend some serious money chasing this down. It had worked perfectly since 2001. I will be unplugging my trailer when I leave it from now on!!!

SF, just so I understand. You left the trailer plugged in while you were fishing? I always unplug as I was told thats safer.

Yeah-never ever gave it a thought-never thought a short could develop while the truck is just sitting there. Just to be clear-the problem is in the truck plug-or on the truck side. Why didn't it come on -on the way up. Wasn't running when I left it. Guess you got the right advise and as usual I'm getting my learning experience in the school of hard knocks."Another thread in life's rich tapestry" Small price for a first class trip!! special thanks to a good bunch from the USA for the jump

Last edited by a moderator:
On a 2001 or older truck, I'm assuming you have an aftermarket trailer brake controller. If so, I have had two controllers fail over the years and both times, they applied the trailer brakes when I wasn't even touching the brake pedal. On both occasions, I had to unplug the trailer wiring to get the trailer home.

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

On my 2008 Dodge when you turn off the truck the trailer plug is dead,no power to the trailer.

I second checking the after market brake controller. I've had a problem for some time that was driving me crazy - when the brake controller was plugged into the truck electrics via the supplied cable, the brake lights would flash on/off intermittently, even when no one was in the truck. I figured a short or high resistance ground somewhere in the circuit as it seemed to happen mostly when it was damp out. Chased it forever until the other day when I happened to be in the truck (not running at the time) when it started to do it again. I noticed the code coming up on the brake controller (Husky) which indicated the manual brake lever was being applied (it wasn't) so slid it back and forth a few times and problem gone. Obviously some dirt or corrosion or damp in there causing the unit to think the lever was being activated. I plan to pull the controller, disassemble and give it a good cleaning.

Well the brake problem thickens. The truck was checked and a new trailer plug installed.Problem still there. Had a look at all the trailer parts-the control module was full of water from the rain storm. Cleaned and dried it. Now it just clicks-I think the control module is fried!!

Well the brake problem thickens. The truck was checked and a new trailer plug installed.Problem still there. Had a look at all the trailer parts-the control module was full of water from the rain storm. Cleaned and dried it. Now it just clicks-I think the control module is fried!!

I also have this problem. I use Hydro boost system as an accumulator to provide the required pressure to activate the master cylinder, however, it uses electrical power to effectively charge the accumulator and build sufficient pressure for efficient brake operation. This system means that less power is taken away from the engine during operation as battery power is used, and that there is no chance of problems caused by things such as a worn power steering pump, slipping or broken pump drive belt, or hose connections.

I have things sorted out now after a few hours with Titan (great People) and a couple of schematics. Nothing wrong with the truck or the controler in the trucK. When it rains very hard and under some conditions the breakaway switch can fail -they have had a few-the small battery for the breakaway powers up the brakes-there is a hot wire from the truck and it starts to try and keep the breakaway battery charged, thus flattening the batteries. I had this -plus the control module which sits on the trailer tongue also filled with water-even though it has a gasket(told you it rained hard) Water poured out when I took it a part-2 days later the circuit boards are dry and things are double sealed and back together. The moral of the story is-unplugging your truck may not be enough-perhaps one should also unplug the breakaway battery as well. I'm going to!!!

Back