Waders

Striper Sniper

Hi guys, my wife and I are planning on doing some shore fishing in the Comox area including the Puntledge, Lazo, Little River, etc... The big question is what waders to buy. Do we go Neoprene or Breathable..... I am leaning towards breathable which raises another question, boots or socks? There seems to be a huge price variance in the products that are available and any mentoring you can provide will be hugely appreciated. :D Thanks in advance for your feedback, Striper Sniper

Hey Striper- Good luck shopping! Not as many options as buying a boat but choice and price are almost endless. I prefer breathables because you can use them year round. Wear a good fleece pant under them in the winter for steelies and silk in the summer will keep you cool. Price varies with quality and material, and you get what you pay for like always. Some companies use real Gore-Tex ($$$$$$ but worth it). Some cheaper models are OK but the seam glue tends to let go after a few uses in salt water, and then you're leaky and wet. Bare and Fenwick make good durable breathables that are reasonably priced and are warrantied. Sock foot waders and a good wading boot will keep you upright even in the slimy Campbell. The combo wader/boot models don't always fit well (foot size to booty size) depending on how big your booty is;).

Neoprene is more durable around the blackberries and branches if you take up river fishing, but you might be too hot in the summer months. You can get different weight neo for cold and warm water, but then you have two pair.

I have both neo and breathable waders and it depends on my fashion sense which I wear. It's not how you feel, it's how you look[8D].

Try them on before you buy either way. Neo should be form fitting but not tight and breathables should be a bit baggy because the don't stretch. Lift your leg over a chair or something for flexibility and squat a few times for comfort, try wading boots on over the waders to get a good fit. Good fishing!! flail

Hey Striper- Good luck shopping! Not as many options as buying a boat but choice and price are almost endless. I prefer breathables because you can use them year round. Wear a good fleece pant under them in the winter for steelies and silk in the summer will keep you cool. Price varies with quality and material, and you get what you pay for like always. Some companies use real Gore-Tex ($$$$$$ but worth it). Some cheaper models are OK but the seam glue tends to let go after a few uses in salt water, and then you're leaky and wet. Bare and Fenwick make good durable breathables that are reasonably priced and are warrantied. Sock foot waders and a good wading boot will keep you upright even in the slimy Campbell. The combo wader/boot models don't always fit well (foot size to booty size) depending on how big your booty is;).

Neoprene is more durable around the blackberries and branches if you take up river fishing, but you might be too hot in the summer months. You can get different weight neo for cold and warm water, but then you have two pair.

I have both neo and breathable waders and it depends on my fashion sense which I wear. It's not how you feel, it's how you look[8D].

Try them on before you buy either way. Neo should be form fitting but not tight and breathables should be a bit baggy because the don't stretch. Lift your leg over a chair or something for flexibility and squat a few times for comfort, try wading boots on over the waders to get a good fit. Good fishing!! flail

Hi Flail, thanks :D! I will probably go with the breathable in the sock type, seems to be the most popular. Cabela's have some pretty nice ones around the $250 usd price and given our Canuck dollar is on par....... I would buy the boots locally to ensure a good fit. Once again, thanks for taking the time to provide such excellent feedback. :):):) Striper Sniper

Hi Flail, thanks :D! I will probably go with the breathable in the sock type, seems to be the most popular. Cabela's have some pretty nice ones around the $250 usd price and given our Canuck dollar is on par....... I would buy the boots locally to ensure a good fit. Once again, thanks for taking the time to provide such excellent feedback. :):):) Striper Sniper

Hey Bryan, I will buy you breakfast in the next couple of days if you are free and you can advise.... Striper Sniper

Hey Bryan, I will buy you breakfast in the next couple of days if you are free and you can advise.... Striper Sniper

SS if you go down to the Puntledge, bring a ski pole and tie a rope to it, you may want to cross the river. I would also add if you have back problems Neoprene could be a pain. GLG

SS if you go down to the Puntledge, bring a ski pole and tie a rope to it, you may want to cross the river. I would also add if you have back problems Neoprene could be a pain. GLG

SS- good choice on the breathables. Don't forget to think globally and shop locally. No need to start bolstering the US economy after what they did to our forestry industry. Just my opinion. Happy wading. flail

SS- good choice on the breathables. Don't forget to think globally and shop locally. No need to start bolstering the US economy after what they did to our forestry industry. Just my opinion. Happy wading. flail

Just read in the local paper that Gone Fishin’ in Courtenay has them on sale
GLG

Just read in the local paper that Gone Fishin’ in Courtenay has them on sale
GLG

If you plan on using them alot i wouldnt go cheap. I found out the hard way and had to replace mine after a season. Switched to sea tux neoprenes and they so far have been good and durable.

If you plan on using them alot i wouldnt go cheap. I found out the hard way and had to replace mine after a season. Switched to sea tux neoprenes and they so far have been good and durable.

I bought a pair of 4mm Bare neoprenes from there and excellent for the puntledge and the ocean, not too hot and fit excellent. Dan and the gang at Gone fishing will help you out.

I bought a pair of 4mm Bare neoprenes from there and excellent for the puntledge and the ocean, not too hot and fit excellent. Dan and the gang at Gone fishing will help you out.

Hey GLG, Kelly and Talon, thanks for your feedback. I did go to Gone Fishing with my wife today and we left with a couple of great rods. (a 10' Shimano Techinum and a 9' Ugly Stick) I decided to purchase a couple of breathable waders from Cabela's as the exchange rate is on par right now:) however, I am commited to purchading the wading boots and fleece pants when they arrive.:). Thank you for providing me with your invaluable feedback, Striiper Sniper

Hey GLG, Kelly and Talon, thanks for your feedback. I did go to Gone Fishing with my wife today and we left with a couple of great rods. (a 10' Shimano Techinum and a 9' Ugly Stick) I decided to purchase a couple of breathable waders from Cabela's as the exchange rate is on par right now:) however, I am commited to purchading the wading boots and fleece pants when they arrive.:). Thank you for providing me with your invaluable feedback, Striiper Sniper

Back