V hull vs flat bottom

kunni

I am looking to buy a small boat around 10 ft for lake fishing on the south island. Should I get a flat bottom or V hull. I would mainly fish electric only lake, but may occasionally go on elk lake or prospect.

kunni

I mainly troll for trout in the spring, fall, and winter, and I fish bass in the summer.

kunni

What you are saying is:- should I buy a Jon-boat or a rowboat-style hull right?

I have both. A ten foot Jon and a ten foot Harbercraft (which they don't make anymore).

The tenfoot Jon is lighter than the rowboat. I can carry the Jon by myself.

For one person....the Jon might be o.k. choice. But with two people and a motor it is tippy. The Harbercraft is rated for more weight even though they are the same length.

The Jon rows easy. two years ago I rowed myself and the wife 3 miles in a Kennedy lake blow-up with 2 foot plus waves. On the other hand, one time she bent over the side to wash her hands and we both just about went in the drink.

I like the Harbercraft much better for stability and electric motor op.

But it is a bit heavier.....to the point where it is difficult to haul. You either drag it over bare ground, put some dolly wheels on it...or get another person to help you.

I've never used a motor on the Jon. I prefer to row anyway.....and if I'm by myself I will take that boat.
If the wife is along I prefer the Harbercraft hull.
The Jon takes 6ft oars....the Harbercraft takes 8ft oars.
Ironically the Jon is easier to row than the Harbercraft.

With two people in the Jon boat I feel like a sardine in a tin. With tackle , lifevests, food, etc,etc, etc, there is no room to move. Make one false move and you are over the side into the water. If both people lean over the same side at the same time....it's almost a given.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back