Users Online: Guests vs Members

Pineapple Express

I've noticed lately while browsing SFBC that the ratio of guests vs members is skewed very substantially towards guests. And lately much more than my memory from years past.

This morning I took a screenshot at 05:15hrs. 11 members and 486 guests:

2024-07-11_05-17-27 online.jpg

Are there really hundreds of people just browsing? Are these guests bots or spammers or ???

There is no way to confirm who or where guests are coming from. I am sure that NGO's read or monitor some of the content posted here, especially in the Conservation threads, but I am not sure they learn anything they don't already know or assume about the recreational fishery. DFO also pays attention to the site and we have had contact from the police in the past when a particular post was problematic because it was made in a public forum. That is why we warn members to be careful about what they say online, as it can lead to challenges for them from a legal perspective. Having said all that, I don't think this site is any different than any other place online where people express their opinions on various topics, so I wouldn't worry about what group is reading what is posted here, unless it is threatning or defaming in some way.
As for the number of guests you see right now, this is the time of year where where our traffic increases given that we are in the busiest part of the fishing season. When people use a search engine to find information on fishing in this area, we often are at or near the top of the page, so that explains some of the higher numbers.

Brian

Last edited:
Bloody Decks forum has a limit to how many times you can visit before you have to sign up for an account. Probably gets rid of some of the riff raff.
That makes sense and probably helps the owners analytics vis a vis members vs guests.

Bloody Decks forum has a limit to how many times you can visit before you have to sign up for an account. Probably gets rid of some of the riff raff.

While this makes sense in theory, and there was a time when it was likely effective in keeping out the riff raff, we are now in a world where the spammers use multiple IP addresses and VPN's to constantly bombard sites like these. Also, the increased use of cell phones and mobile data to access the internet means you have a different IP address everytime you move from place to place, so it is very difficult to "block" people from acccessing one of these platforms as a guest. Analytics has become more sophisticated in determining legitimate visits to a website as well. It is a bit of a cat and mouse game constantly going on and fortunately our software provider does a pretty good job of blocking the spammers from registering as members, but the rare one still makes it through on occasion.

If you go into a private mode tab you can see the specific page if you're googling something and a BD page comes up. Won't work just browsing though.

If I fall asleep does it log me out after a certain amount of time? If so would I just be a guest untill I log in Again

If I fall asleep does it log me out after a certain amount of time? If so would I just be a guest untill I log in Again

If you are not logged in, you will show up as a guest until you log in again. I'm sure we have members who regularly check out the site that aren't logged in. They miss out on some functionality and obviously can't comment, but they can always then log in if they see something they want to ask about or comment on.

Back