Ultralight setups for stillwater trolling and casting

el.Pereh

After my trips this May and June to the Nicola Valley, I've decided it is time to invest in an ultralight setup for targeting trout. When I am out there I am normally trolling from a boat, however I like to do a fair bit of casting spinners and spoons from shore in local Lower Mainland and Sea to Sky Corridor lakes. I know the line rating I am after (2-6 lbs or 2-8), however I am not sure on the size of the rod. It seems like their are options from 5' to 9'. Any idea on the ideal length? Does a longer rod = longer casts if all else is the same? What are the trade offs?

After my trips this May and June to the Nicola Valley, I've decided it is time to invest in an ultralight setup for targeting trout. When I am out there I am normally trolling from a boat, however I like to do a fair bit of casting spinners and spoons from shore in local Lower Mainland and Sea to Sky Corridor lakes. I know the line rating I am after (2-6 lbs or 2-8), however I am not sure on the size of the rod. It seems like their are options from 5' to 9'. Any idea on the ideal length? Does a longer rod = longer casts if all else is the same? What are the trade offs?

I went to canadian tire and bought a 6'6 fenwick 2-6 pound spinning rod and a mid range Abu Garcia spinning reel to go with it and loaded it with 4-6 pound mono. Casts super far with minimum weight. Love it and catch lots of rainbows in the 4-5 pound range on it!

Hope that helps.

I spent two summers guiding for trout in the interior using ultra light spinning tackle. I found a 5 or 5 1/2 foot Fenwick ultra light to be perfect. Anything above 4 lb test is not ultra light, but light tackle. If you are using ultra light on anything other than small fish, you will probably kill the fish by exhaustion while landing it. I gave up catching steelhead on 4 lb test when it became C&R only, for the protection of the fish. Fishing catch and release, is best done with heavier tackle.

Thank you both. What if any is the benefit of a longer (say 7') rod?

I have a 7'6" fenwick HMX 2-8 lb rod that I use for trout and bass. The extra length is nice for casting but I'm not sure that you get that much more distance out of it. It does flex a bit more than some shorter rods I have used, almost like a noodle rod, bending from butt to tip evenly. This is nice for playing a fish like trout with their acrobatics and soft mouths. I use braided line so the rod plays the fish, there is no extra stretch like with mono line. Pretty exciting even with smaller fish watching that rod jump up and down like crazy.

That's a great question. I would look for a longer rod, this will allow you to use lighter line and fight the fish with the rod and not your line. At least a 7ft rod if not 8-9, this will allow you downsize your line size. Fluorocarbon line is a great bonus, it's a sinking line so just keep in mind what type of lure your tying on.

Henry Nguyen
Legend Boats

I used to use a fenwick HMX 8'6", similar to Rendraws spooled with 5 pound power braid. Lots of guys don't like braid for smaller setups, as they feel its over kill, but I almost always use braid and I find I have a better hookup ratio. Braid is a huge pain when you get tangled up, as its nearly impossible to untangle braid. I find that the longer rod allows me to increase momentum before the lure/weight leaves the rod tip, allowing for a longer cast.

Kunni

Back