Twin 90’s on 23 Hourston

23Hourston

Guy told be today he knows of a few 23’s running twin 90’s cruise speed 23 knots at 4200 rpm. Crazy

Sounds like a nice setup!
My 22.5 ff is 225 opti now. Don't know how it works yet.

Last edited:
But yeah redundancy, can run cheaper power if you want odds both failing... would you need a kicker ?

Last edited:
My 23' is powered by a Volvo D3-200, and will cruise 28 mph @ 34-3500 [at 7 US gallons an hour], and top out at 36 @ 4000, burning 10-12. Island Outfitters had a 26' Hourston with 225 outboard that would go over 40 mph [no flybridge, Robert].

I think there's a lot of focus on bigger motors because they exist now, not because you need them to drive the boat at reasonable speeds.

Have thought about putting twin 90’s on the Double Eagle I am building as well. But think I will go with a single 250

Mine (26' island runner) has a 5.7 320hp with a volvo dps drive and it cruises along at 22 knots turning 3100 rpms. Flat out it will hit 38 knots and I wouldn't want to go faster. I really like the duo prop drive so the Suzuki dp is very intriguing but I'd likely go twin 175s for stability and redundancy (stupid old skool IT guy).

I've said it lots on these boards I don't feel it is safe over 30 knots on the inside anyway as there simply is too much debris, at least where I'm cruising about.

Back