Tuna

• Thread starter Thread starter Pablo2079
  • Start date Start date
P

Pablo2079

Has anyone taken their boat (or a charter) off BC or Washington to go after tuna? I've heard that you have to go out at least 40 miles and sometimes up to 80 to find them....

Just curious...

I did a tuna trip last september out from Westport WA. The boat (Ms Magoo)went out about 90 miles. Six fishermen on board caught 240 albacore tuna that plugged the fish hold and shortened the two-day trip into an overnighter. I still have a case of white tuna cans left in my closet.

Muchou

fished tuna commercially for a season a couple years ago. We got them as close in as 30 miles and as far north as Cape Cook. Water temp. is the biggest factor for albacore, look for the warm water(60+Farenheit)and odds are there will be tuna around.

Hi guys,

I fish for the Albacore every year, they normally begin to arrive the start of August, fish out of barkley concentrating on barkley canyon utilizing surface temp charts, tide flow direction and following the canyon walls which rise from a depth of 1000 meters to 160 meters.If you work the walls properly you will locate a upflow of bait fish caused by tide flow and Look for temp breaks 58 to 60 and deep blue water color and birds than you will find them. Travel from beal is min. 35 miles before set up of troll --- a normal day would be approx 85 miles there and back to beal plus miles spent trolling ( 5 hrs) at 7 to 8 knots. Average tuna 20 to 25 lb range --- have not caught larger. If additional info required drop me a line and i will go to greater depth.

GP
"My biggest worry is that when I'm dead, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

EL NINO nroings warm currenst closer and so too the Tuna

no one wants to use the dreaded term EL NINO this year- but facts are the surface temps are up dramatically from S. Alaska down to S. oregon- and everywhere along the way- lets hope it's only a ONE year current shift!!

BUT the only good news with EL NINO is that they are only having to go 5-7 miles out at westport to get the tuna now!!! A marlin hookup was even reported a couple weeks ago- true or not- it was in the Newspaper reported as so.

quote:
EL NINO brings warm currents closer and so too the Tuna

no one wants to use the dreaded term EL NINO this year- but facts are the surface temps are up dramatically from S. Alaska down to S. oregon- and everywhere along the way- lets hope it's only a ONE year current shift!!

BUT the only good news with EL NINO is that they are only having to go 5-7 miles out at westport to get the tuna now!!! A marlin hookup was even reported a couple weeks ago- true or not- it was in the Newspaper reported as so.

Back