Tube Fly vs. Hoochy.....

Seafever

Anybody here use saltwater tube-flies for Chinook effectively....trolled behind a flasher just like a hoochy?

Not talking about bucktail flies.

was thinking the pro's and cons of both:-

Tube Fly:- can be made in any pattern and size you like.....especially in sizes 6" and smaller. Can be slid on a leader and changed as fast or faster than a hoochy. Can be made to wobble or roll or dart quite easily when constructed. Can have double or single hook setup. Variations and nuances of color are endless. Easy to duplicate existing patterns.
Needlefish patterns are easy to make.

Con:- right now there's not much around. You would likely have to make them yourself. Or hunt online.

Hoochy........lots around. relatively cheap. ready to go. lots of colors

Con:- they have to be "rigged'. Not much variation in body type. The majority come in standard sizes.........if you want "offsize" you're on your own. To get them to wobble ,roll or dart, half the time you need a plastic head or some other device......and half the time they don't work.

Tube saltwater salmon flies have never commercially caught on as big as hoochies up here.........especially for trolling behind a flasher..............but I know there are many members here who use trolled T/flies with success.......

Bucktails have caught on....but they are not the same as a tube-fly.

If you use tube-flies for the purpose described here......are you making them yourself?

I think they would produce fish but not really cost effective in comparison to cheap rubber hoochies. I'd think a big spring might do a good bit of damage to a fly and pretty much thrash the tube almost useless after a few battles.

A lot of the tube flies I've seen were made too thick I think a hootchie works because there's not much too it.

We used to fish tube flies and they were very good producers. Probably still are. My partner used to tie them himself when he was alive. They were a work of art made out of polar bear hair. I have some left but won't fish them as they are a keepsake and I could never replace them. They do work well but I think for any good quality ones you'll have to tie them yourself.

sure, making them up is really quite easy. I got a laugh out of the comment about a salmon destroying a 'fly'. come on now, how about some real game fish, black trevally, marlin, pacific sail, tarpon, wahoo.......all on the fly and not much if any damage to a well made fly.

the real trick to hoochie fishing is matching the hatch with the 'correct' color and then trimming to size based on what you find the fish feeding on. too many folks just slap them on with a color that catches their eye, pays no attention to length and does not do very well. one of the best starting points in the strait is the glo white hoochie. you may hear it refered to as 'the standard worm'.

I have made tube flies in the past, we called them "flashtails". We used them behind Abe N Al flashers for big screamer Coho around Swale Rock.

I used polar bear hair and the "tube" was the casing stripped off household wiring. I tied them all in white then we'd colour them with felt markers for the colour that was working best that day. Often it was grey.

I have made tube flies in the past, we called them "flashtails". We used them behind Abe N Al flashers for big screamer Coho around Swale Rock.

I used polar bear hair and the "tube" was the casing stripped off household wiring. I tied them all in white then we'd colour them with felt markers for the colour that was working best that day. Often it was grey.

Maybe you can post pictures ?

I have none left, haven't used them in years but it's in my plan to make some for this summer. When I do, I will for sure post some pics.

I made up some tube flies like the top two using some blue and some chartreuse and some crystal flash. Tied them on small plastic tubes from dollar store cotton swab/Qtips. I just tied black around the head and glued on some glow eyes and layered the clear over that. the I have use them a few times for coho/pinks, but everything was working when we were on those species. I'll have to dig them out of the tackle hoard and try them for chinook.

What brand are those Q-tips?.....the ones I have are made of some kind of compressed cardboard.........

I have some of those Grand Slam flies ...was going to order some more direct....but they want more to ship them than the fly is worth now.......

Rather try tying them myself anyway........

Back