Try to eat in Renfrew

• Thread starter Thread starter SeaFunMan
  • Start date Start date
S

SeaFunMan

The owners of the rebuilt Pub/Restaurant/Hotel in Renfrew have screwed the whole thing up. Being their snotty new Pub wasn’t the gold mine they hoped, they decided to buy out the owner of the Westcoast Motel and Lighthouse restaurant then close the restaurant down so as to eliminate the major competition. I enjoyed the setting of the Lighthouse pub over the echo chamber at the dock not to mention the limited seating. Last Saturday night the management of the new hotel decided to reserve the whole dinning room for a private party. This left only the pub (30-35 seats) and the Country Kitchen down the road for the dinner rush. Yours truly joined 40-50 other people and groups waiting 3-4 hours and some didn’t get anything before closing time. On top of all this, they jacked up the room rates at the Westcoast hotel 30% ($130) a night and eliminated the free breakfast.

Must be inherited money behind this. No smart business people would screw up like this.

Go over to the marina,Judy has got a little lunch/breakfast trailer over near the gas pumps,food is excellent.Had lunch when I was working out there.DAN

I second Dans statement , good food,reasonable prices , nice people !
I have eaten once at the new Pub , go now to the Cafe in the old garage ,good food and cheap drinks.
Talking to the lady who is the owner (along with her hubby) and they are thinking of selling and moving on, THAT will hurt if the snot noses from the Hotel buy it out , would leave only the marina site and the hippy eatery up the road which charges outrageous prices.

AL

quote:Originally posted by SeaFunMan

The owners of the rebuilt Pub/Restaurant/Hotel in Renfrew have screwed the whole thing up. Being their snotty new Pub wasn’t the gold mine they hoped, they decided to buy out the owner of the Westcoast Motel and Lighthouse restaurant then close the restaurant down so as to eliminate the major competition. I enjoyed the setting of the Lighthouse pub over the echo chamber at the dock not to mention the limited seating. Last Saturday night the management of the new hotel decided to reserve the whole dinning room for a private party. This left only the pub (30-35 seats) and the Country Kitchen down the road for the dinner rush. Yours truly joined 40-50 other people and groups waiting 3-4 hours and some didn’t get anything before closing time. On top of all this, they jacked up the room rates at the Westcoast hotel 30% ($130) a night and eliminated the free breakfast.

Must be inherited money behind this. No smart business people would screw up like this.

Just a matter of time before someone comes along and knocks them off. The competition will come along, build a superior joint, more seating, better food, better prices and kill their guests with kindness. The crooks will crumble and lose a bundle.

As for the new business owners, F'em, that'll show 'em. BOYCOTT!

i agree with all of you, i know alot of people who work there and some have quit, but the new owners have deep pockets and own alot of town, maybe the new 3point development will offer something, the new pub since day 1 has been a disgrace service wise, the food is always good when you get it, but i rather eat nowish ok food then much later good food, Jess and her new husband at the costal are good people but pricey and you never know when she will be open, as i was told i dont need the clients i am busy enough, i wont say anymore, lots of good people in renfrew, just some bad management
leaves us stuck behind the [8] [:0]

I spend a lot of time in Renfrew, and agree totally about the Port Renfrew Hotel "Let Down" experience. I think it was Island Angler that wrote a report starting wtih the term "this is bullsh*t" a few weeks ago. They have about 4 things on the menu, and 4 styles of burger, and very little creativity behind the bar. Whatever, you go there to fish, not eat, I don't expect much.

However, I don't think the majority of the staff at the hotel with whom I have dealt with this year could sucessfully figure out the right way to sit on a toilet seat, let alone grasp the concept of "seperate tabs", "this is not what I ordered", and "the little thing with buttons on it is to help you work with numbers". Been there three times, won't be back for a long time, I think Hans really ran a tight ship and a good place at the old Lighthouse, I miss it dearly.

I have to stick up for Jes and the Coastal Kitchen, with the exception of closing Canada day to go to a wedding, she has been very reliable whenever I go there, and the service over all has been good as long as the whole town doesn't swarm by. Food is pricey, but portions are huge and filling, even for a man of my stature.

The Cookshack in the marina is ok if you get to the head of the line early in the morning (My trailer is right beside it), and her dinner specials are DAMN good for the price. Not to mention, you will get the most accurate fishing reports if you just listen carefully around there.

My wife and I have pretty well eaten everywhere possible in Renfrew and have enjoyed the food! Maybe we have been lucky but the service has been great! Havent tried Judy's yet except for coffee and pastry but will give it a try soon! I have enjoyed Renfrew and it has been everything that you guys have said! I once again appreciate the advice!

I've got to find a place for 20 people to eat for an office derby this Thursday after fishing... any recommendations?

Back