Trim Tabs????

Hey Sammy, were they smart tabs? I have been looking at those for my boat cause I've heard nothing but good things about them. I am going to need to get a set on my Arima to help with a little of the porposing that seems to be happening on a regular basis no matter how you trim the motor. If you don't mind, could you pm me the cost of them from trotac? Thanks

Biggy, yes i believe they were smart tabs (Nauticus),bc i have larger boat mine were a dif. md.#. talk to Trotac i'll try & give them a heads up ...sammy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reelslim,the (hydrafoil..se sports mod) we called em "bat wings" attached to skeg? I know they get you out of the hole quicker...just not sure i want to drill any holes in the $$$$ merc. ... did notching up one extra hole(leaning side) seem to help? thanxs ...sammy

Sammy, look at the "stingray" hydrofoil... XRIII model
no need to drill holes on that unit.
My experience is that they work well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Doel fin (sting ray, whatever there called) on my big outboard and between that and my engine trim, I've never needed trim tabs to get my nose down on my boat (i.e. 20 ft Silver Streak). Trim tabs are expensive and just one more thing to maintain and replace IMO. Try the fin first and see if that works for ya - lot less $$$

If anyone in the nanaimo area is looking for a set of stainless smart tabs with 80lb gas shocks i have a set to get rid of. Just took them off my malibu 185 las week. They worked great to get the bow down and slowed the planing speed which was great for rough water.

thanx r.s, i'll have a look ...sammy

I have a unit just like this on my boat. BC Ferries has them on most of the rescue boats. Not sure how they work though as I have never ran a boat without one then again with. But I am not removing mine any time soon.

Reelslim,the (hydrafoil..se sports mod) we called em "bat wings" attached to skeg? I know they get you out of the hole quicker...just not sure i want to drill any holes in the $$$$ merc. ... did notching up one extra hole(leaning side) seem to help? thanxs ...sammy

Hey Sammy.......Moving the the notch up one hole to make it stiffer definitely helped. I think in the end though I had the one on the passenger side as stiff as I could set it and the driver side one set the other way. Between the 8HT Honda kicker and the fact that my fishing buddies seem to outweigh me?? lol it worked right for that boat! And it is true about drilling holes with the SE Sport. The Stingray model that is mentioned is a snap in place unit. I had the Se Sport mounted on A 115 Honda and now a 150 Yamaha and they both had plenty of meat for the holes. I sealed them well and it hasn't been an issue for me but nobody likes to drill more holes if they aren't needed. I'm not sure what the Merc bottom end looks like for mounting either.. And I agree as mentioned that trying the Hydrafoil is the best thing to try first and then go from there....especially for any porpoising............Good Luck!

Tabs offer way more options for proper trim over Dolphins. If I get 2 large guys on the port side (same side as my kicker) I can trim down the starboard side to level the boat off. If I want to toss someone I don't like over the side I can power down either side and see ya later. :)

Hey jencourt , Bennett trim tabs are the ticket , I have them on my 91 trophy 23 and they work great. I have a buddy with a trophy 21 who swears by the planer that Craven mentioned.

A four blader is a great idea as long as you are not pushing big loads for long distances. When you run 4 bladers they do not allow as much slippage on the prop and they put additional stress on the gearcase. When I say big loads I mean 4 big guys and gear on a 21 foot boat on plane.

Hope that helps , beemer

I'm no expert on the subject of props, but, to my understanding, if you have the right pitch, (that is you can get the right amount of revs as per your engine manufacturers recommendation at WOT with a typical load on board) then how many blades the prop has is not relevant.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I also can recommend Bennet trim tabs, I've had them for five years and they have never given me problem.

I'm no expert either on props but as I understand it the four blades are for more thrust like mentioned above. They will give you a better hole shot but you will lose out in other areas. Most competition ski boats will even have 5 blade props because for them hole shot is everything not top end so much. And the Bennet tabs are nice!

Yep that's what i like about this forum ask a ? & get the straight goods(well most of the time;) ) thanx...sammy

I'm no expert on the subject of props, but, to my understanding, if you have the right pitch, (that is you can get the right amount of revs as per your engine manufacturers recommendation at WOT with a typical load on board) then how many blades the prop has is not relevant.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I also can recommend Bennet trim tabs, I've had them for five years and they have never given me problem.

100% correct Mike R. Many guys who have nose up problems though or are pushing big loads sacrifice WOT revs in order to get on plane by running 4 or 5 bladers.

Thanks Sammy, I gave P a call down there today but as always he was to busy with customers. I'm sure he'll get back to me tomorrow though.

Back