Transom Pod

T

Tanglefoot

I could use a little advice from anyone who has gone this route…Here are the details.

I have an ’87 Malibu 18.5 hard-top with a 4-cy Volvo I/O engine. The boat has spent much of its life on a trailer, wasn’t bottom coated until 5 years ago when I bought it, and so I believe the hull is sound. The interior of the vessel is ok, could use some TLC but that is do-able. The engine runs well but, and here is the problem, I don’t really trust it to go any real distance away from moorage.

I have a 9.9, 4-stroke long shaft OMC as a kicker mounted on a ‘Spar’ bracket just in case I need to limp home. Mega-torque on that bracket if the sea is choppy!

This is what I’m considering. I’d like to remove the I/O engine and leg, fill the hole and have a grid pod attached to the transom and then re-engine with a new 150 Yamaha and a 9.9 Yamaha kicker. All with new controls, instruments, tabs etc. I think I’m looking at about $25,000 CAD before the kicker. About $4m of the total is filling the hole and adding the grid, the rest is engine and taxes. The mod would add about 2 feet to the vessel length and the 150 Yammy and kicker would put a lot of weight well aft of the existing hull. I think I would need a skookum pod to carry it. I’m told that a local shipwright has done similar modifications.

I realize that I’ll still have a 20 year-old boat but with a new engine. An alternative would be a new boat and engine, about $60m or a second-hand boat and a new engine (I’ve already got the boat!). The new engine is a must.

Anyone gone this re-build route on a similar vessel? Has it worked out? What sort of pod was installed? What did it cost?

Thanks, Tom

Have you checked out http://www.liquidmetalmarine.com/motor-mounts.html for pods.

One thing about a pod i like is you can have them made with flotation and the fact that is lengthens the boat which makes it more stable in the water. Give that transon a good check over as if it's starting to rot, the boat itself is worth very little. If its been trailered, changes are pretty small there is any problem.

instead of filling the pod with foam why not put a cover on it and turn it into a fish box? a yammie 150 shouldnt cost you 25k either, you should be able to get one for about 15..and rigging and controls shouldnt be 10

go for it just make sure to go the full floation and not just a swim grid bracket,I know a few guys that have gone this route and it has gone well they all had liquid metal do the work.

keep the same v as your haul all the way back , works better . tight lines scottyboy

Back