transducer angle

tubber

I'm finding that I don't like how my downrigger balls, dummy flasher and even clips take up a significant amount of the picture, so if a fish shows at those 2 depths, the arch gets lost in the noise of the balls. If I angle the transducer more ahead (or back) the depth measurement will be inaccurate. If I turn down the sensitivity, I don't see fish.
Do most of you want to see your balls?
The depthcounter tells me how much line is out and I can do Pythagorus for a 45 degree angle if I haven't had too many beers.
I've only been on lakes trolling less than 2mph. Maybe if I go faster the balls will blow back out of the screen, but what about when I want to go slow for kokanee?
New Lowrance Elite 5.

I'm finding that I don't like how my downrigger balls, dummy flasher and even clips take up a significant amount of the picture, so if a fish shows at those 2 depths, the arch gets lost in the noise of the balls. If I angle the transducer more ahead (or back) the depth measurement will be inaccurate. If I turn down the sensitivity, I don't see fish.
Do most of you want to see your balls?
The depthcounter tells me how much line is out and I can do Pythagorus for a 45 degree angle if I haven't had too many beers.
I've only been on lakes trolling less than 2mph. Maybe if I go faster the balls will blow back out of the screen, but what about when I want to go slow for kokanee?
New Lowrance Elite 5.

If your gear is hanging straight down while trolling, I might try using less weight to allow it to get some angle going.

If your gear is hanging straight down while trolling, I might try using less weight to allow it to get some angle going.

...or angle the transducer forward (balls trail). I just hooked up a new SH transducer. The instructions (yes, I actually read them - low T, I guess!) said to angle it facing forward 4 to 9 degrees off horizontal and shims were provided to compensate for the transom angle. It appears that the smart electronics compensate for that angle to maintain depth accuracy.

I seldom ever see Down rigger balls unless I am very slow or quite shallow and slow and then only on the transducer which has the 23 degree cone not the 8 degree one.
I don`t like to see them unless they are seen passing through arches LOL. I`m ok with that.

Someone should invent a adjustable transducer. Then you can see where your balls are running or adjust forward for bait schools or arches.;) eman

I have an old Hummingbird sounder that I point the transducer a little too far forward, this allows me to see what is coming up...before I actually hit it. Throws my depth off when setting my prawn traps if I am trying to work an edge, but I compensate by sounding the area thoroughly before dropping the traps.

Keep saying I should up-grade my old-timer sounder, but she is a proven...ummm, fish-finder

I suspect a small but powerful tuning motor might be a development. When traveling at high speeds, it points more forward. Then, when rising you could have it pointing straight down or slightly back.

Went out to play on the lake again yesterday. It looks like if I go salmon speeds, and deepr than 50 feet, the balls will be off the screen for the 200hz cone. Thanks for the replies.

Not hard to make such a device...already have one made. lol I have a large bronze Airmar transducer (meant to be a thru hull mount) which is mounted on a custom made transom mount. The mount consists of an inner and outer stainless tube. The outer one is welded to a flange that bolts to the transom, the inner one slides up and down inside the outer tube. A handle to raise and lower it is welded on top. A hole is drilled through the outer pipe and a nut is welded to the outer pipe over the hole. I use a Scotty downrigger bolt (with the plastic coating) to lock the inner pipe to the desired hight by tightening it into the nut and forcing the bolt into the inner pipe. A fabbed bracket attaches the tranducer to the bottom of the sliding inner tube. The transducer wire runs up the inside of the tubes and up to where all my kicker wires, cables and fuel lines run through the transom. The transducer is angles about 2 deg down in front when oriented in the normal position. I can raise and lower the transducer and also rotate it changing the angle from 2 degrees ahead to 2 degrees to stern. I mounted it this way so that I can tuck it up behind the stern and out of the water for high speed running. I use another torpedo shaped transducer and a different sounder for on plane sounding.

Back