Trailers With No Leaf Springs......

Seafever

Lots of trailers showing up on the lots now with torsion bars instead of leaf springs...

Are they better or worse than leaf springs?

How long do they last?

After seeing Strikers trailer on the BST thread that got me thinking also, the only thing I could think of would be less maintenance in the fact that you wouldn't be dealing with rusted out springs?

Are those bars one piece per side?.....or does it go right through the axle side to side?

Be harder to tell when they are wearing out than leafs.....just guessing....

I have had torsion axles since 2008. One per side .. No problems with the axles--- now the disc brakes-- thats another story!

The word on Torsion axles is supposed to be: smoother and quieter ride, less bucking of the tow vehicle and zero maintenance requirements. Highliner can supply a torsion trailer, plus several US brands.

Tandems must be towed dead level though, to keep even weight distribution on the axles, as they do not auto-compensate the load like leaf springs do.

Tandems must be towed dead level though, to keep even weight distribution on the axles, as they do not auto-compensate the load like leaf springs do.

With a tandem torque flex trailer, each wheel is completely independent so each wheel will act on it's own. Dead level.......tell that to my trailer as I'm going up to let's say.......Tofino lol! Not going to happen especially around Kennedy Lake. Zero problems with each of the 4 wheels acting independently. I love my trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps parallel with the road surface is a better way to describe this.

Yes, each wheel has independent suspension and travels on it's own...BUT... if the trailer is not level, one axle will be under loaded, the other overloaded.

See pages 3 and 4

http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/b754.pdf

For clarity, a tandem axle trailer utilizing Torsion axles, needs to run parallel to the ground to load each axle equally.

Yes, each wheel has independent suspension, but the static loading has to be equal for each axle at rest. If the front is high, the rear axle will bear more weight, and vice versa.
Think of the load on each wheel, and the position of the torsion arm relative to it's unloaded position...and how these will be unequal between for the axles if the trailer is not being towed level. (parallel to the road surface).

See pages 3 and 4 of this manufacturers information on Torsion axles.

http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/b754.pdf

Back