Trailering a US bought boat to Canada

AlK

If I purchase a boat in the US and I haul it back to Canada, I image I have to get temporary plates or permits for the various states. I know some of you have done this. What is involved in getting these permits??

I know about separate bills of sale, titles, letter from trailer manufacturer and serial numbers. I am only wondering about hauling it myself back to Canada.

Thanks

Drop by your local ICBC agent and you can get a "binder" policy that provides insurance for transporting the trailer (with boat on) from the point of purchase to your home.
Plates for the trailer may be left on by the seller, if he'll give you a couple of days to make the trip home before cancelling them. Otherwise you will have to purchase a temporary plate/permit from the state department of transportation.
Theoretically, as I understood it, you are required to get a temporary plate in each state you pass through. When I bought it was in Washington so only had to get their temporary plate ($10.00 fee 5 or 6 years ago).
For ease of carrying out the transfer home, it may be helpful to phone the local dept of transportation of each state you will be passing through before setting out. Lots of good advice going to appear here but some, like mine, may be a bit dated

You cannot get a BC plate until you have registered the trailer here, which of course can't happen until taxes and fees are paid and Canadian Tire has done their inspection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check interstate rules. I have heard you do not need plates till crossing the border. I have understood some sellers will drop the boat right on the highway for you... Seems weird but I have heard about this a couple of times. Might be worth looking into.

I thought that in the US the plates always stay with the vehicle?
unless its a new one then you have to apply for and wait for new plates,
thats also why you see so many new US vehicles running around without plates
while they are waiting on them to arrive,
Ahh the joys of private insurance and not a monopoly like here

When i brought my boat back from san fran the dealer gave me a permit to get to the border.The girl at ICBC said if i have a permit good for washington state it will be good for BC also(just to get home)not sure if she was right or not but i took her name and extension number just in case.I never had any plate or permit showing on the boat or trailer, dealer said i didn't need to,and got followed by the highway patrol a couple times and didn't get stopped.You see lots off vehicles in the US without plates.

I did however buy boat insurance from my credit union before i left, and they covered the boat for theft,damages and liability while i towed it home.Cost me about 75 bux extra on the insurance

I would be careful there? California has its own permit, which is NOT good in Oregon or Washington. If you cross into Washington from any state during the summer months you probably WILL get stopped - it is a Zebra thing. They set up road checks just for boats! They will check your paperwork at those road checks and if you don't have the correct paperwork best case you will just recieve a ticket - worst case, you may be finding another ride home?

Once a boat (or any vehicle) is purchased in the State of Washington the previous owner's registration (and plates) or NO LONGER valid, for any reason. Plates on trailers and vehicles are actually supposed to be removed. The boat doesn't have to be registrated at all, unless in the water.

Stop and think - When stopped with BC truck plates and towing a Washington plated trailer, what is the first question going to be asked? Based on answers given and proof of ownership, that cop can do just about anything he wants... It really isn't worth it!

Washington
Trip Permits can be purchased at any License branch. They are good in most surrounding states of the the "Northwest states." They have agreements in place with the states. Good in BC? Never checked.

Check the "Oversize or Overweight" limits and permits. If the boat has an 8'6" beam and is setting ON TRAILER with fender and trailer wheels over 8'6" - IT IS OVERSIZE!

You may purchase Oversize or Overweight Permits by:
writing to:
Department of Transportation
PO Box 47367
Linderson Way
Olympia WA 98504-7367

OR calling (360) 704-6340, calling is guite easy.

Oregon
Single Trip Variance Permits
Motor Carrier Transportation Division, Over-Dimension Permit Unit
550 Capitol Street NE, Salem

OR, Phone 503-373-0000 - Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Walk-In Counter Service - Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

California
For California trip permits, contact the California Department of Motor Vehicles at 916-657-7971; or they can be obtained at truckstops outside of California.

For California oversize or overweight permits, contact the California Department of Transportation (CALTRANS), South Region Permits at 909-383-4637.

You will need the Pickup Location and the Drop off Location for California.

Back