Trailer - Tongue-Weight Indicator Jack

pescador

http://www.seasense.com/products?pa...54&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=2858

I'm always concerned about tongue weight when I haul my 7500 lb boat/trailer combo up/down the Island from Victoria to Gold River during the summer a few times each year. I have found, that a lot of things influence the tongue weight. Fuel left in boat, bilge water, water in holding tanks, ice and a large load of slabs (hopefully) in the icebox. The variables of numerous and I've always thought that it would be great to be able to know how close I am to the 8-15% tongue weight range that most experts say you need for safe passage. I've had the odd trip where a bow wave from a passing 18 wheeler has caused me some trailer sway. A white knuckle experience if you've ever felt it. I have read that usually the cause of trailer sway is simple not adequate tongue weight. I found the above link last night from a manufacturer in the US who has come up with a scale built into their trailer jack. I plan on ordering one. Price seems right. I'll leave my current jack on the trailer and use this new one just for redundancy and weighing purposes only. If any of you have used the Seasense jack, pls let me know.

That is innovative, but their are other factors beside tongue weight that will affect how a trailer will follow the tow vehicle. Under inflated tires or unbalanced wheels can also cause white knuckle experiences.

I had always guessed at 1200lb tongue weight but that trailer jack maxes out well before that. :-(

Agreed tongue weight is only one factor, but, at least its one more variable you can measure and ensure its done right. Gunsmith, they have a 1500 lb version as well.

Good idea, but i just drive over the scales doa dry run with your truck then with boat. if you want unhitch the boat on the scale while its closed.

figuring out fuel weight and tank weights are easy.

1liter of gas is 1.6lb
1liter of water 2.2lb

check out these calculators, there are a few to look at.

Thanks or starting this thread as im thinking about moving my boat back a foot on the trailer, hopes my weights work out.

What I have found is that on certain ramps (IE Gold River), its hard to get my boat positioned high enough up on the trailer because of the steep angle of the ramp there. That means I can't quite get the distribution of weight right always. Lets face it, its always a bit of a guess. Yes I try the go down a hill and hammer on the brakes, but, thats not as effective as "floating" the boat on the trailer and getting the bow eye up high on the winch upright. I weigh each axle every time I run up and down the Island at whatever scale i find on the highway. I've got a pretty good history now of axle weights by trip. The amazing thing is there are variations. All slight, like 100-300 KG, but, they make a different. I need to know weights at the launch. What I'm hoping is that this jack scale will allow me to quickly assess if i have to shift the load up front a bit. I need to move mine ahead I believe a few inches or the axles back. I hear an inch of movement is approx 12-19 lbs depending on size of boat.

I had always guessed at 1200lb tongue weight but that trailer jack maxes out well before that. :-(
if you follow the Amazon link it says they now have them for 1500lbs and more

Back