Trailer Security

Max123

Just curious if anyone has any recommendations for securing a trailer? My trailer is in yard at a marina - secured at night, but there is a fair amount of in-out traffic during the day. The idea of a someone breaking in at night is a bit unlikely - its behind two locked gates, and there is a caretaker - however, my greatest concern is that on a busy day someone just pulls up, hitches and drives away.

What's the best security measure that isn't too much of a hassle? Chain the wheel to the frame? Boot the wheel? Basic coupler lock?

I could see it being pretty easy to waste $150 on garbage products at CT that is easily disabled. Would be great if there was a simple way to disable the coupler with a big Kryptonite lock.

Coupler lock at a minimum. Remove a wheel or two as well. Leave no spare on either. Make them work for it. Take a picture as well of your trailer stored, for insurance purposes should something happen. If people want something, they’re gonna take it.

realistically nothing can be done to secure a trailer. everything can be unbolted and its just chunks of aluminum which are easily cut with a battery powered angle grinder. wheels are like $50 or something so they can easily chop thru old wheels and/or slip new ones on. if they want it they are going to get it.
throw a chain lock thru trailer frame to a concrete block or some fixed object, toss in a trailer coupler lock, get a couple of heavy roadside barriers to surround it, drop a few cameras in the area and pay up your insurance and call it good. worst case they can take 30 minutes to get thru all that best case maybe 10 minutes with a pallet jack and angle grinder. good enough to be more than what 99% of all the other owners do anyway. which is all you can do really. let them steal the easier to steal trailer next to you.
the other thing you can do is take a black aluminum paint/sharpie can and go to town on the trailer. destroys any resale value of the trailer and removes the point of stealing it in the first place. i do it to all of my stuff but then i hardly resell my stuff so i dont care. undoing it with paint remover is pretty easy anyway.

Last edited:
It's like swimming with sharks, just make sure you can swim faster than your buddy. If there is an easier target they will pass by yours, but if they really want it it's gone.

Thanks for the feedback! Basically bootstraps approach: coupler lock, wheel lock... I'll add my suggestion of an airtag or two tossed in for good measure.

Nice thing about an airtag is that you can set a 'home' location, and then it notifies you if it moves.

Thanks for the feedback! Basically bootstraps approach: coupler lock, wheel lock... I'll add my suggestion of an airtag or two tossed in for good measure.

Nice thing about an airtag is that you can set a 'home' location, and then it notifies you if it moves.
Believe me if they want it they will get it, best way is take the wheels off, any other locks they can cut easily with battery tools

delay and deter, the trailer three over is easier to steal. chain or cable through the rim, to the frame. tongue lock too!!

3/8" grade 8 chain cant be cut with bolt cutters. That and an appropriate lock will slow them down. A tongue lock is easily defeated with a hacksaw but they look great.

Just curious if anyone has any recommendations for securing a trailer? My trailer is in yard at a marina - secured at night, but there is a fair amount of in-out traffic during the day. The idea of a someone breaking in at night is a bit unlikely - its behind two locked gates, and there is a caretaker - however, my greatest concern is that on a busy day someone just pulls up, hitches and drives away.

What's the best security measure that isn't too much of a hassle? Chain the wheel to the frame? Boot the wheel? Basic coupler lock?

I could see it being pretty easy to waste $150 on garbage products at CT that is easily disabled. Would be great if there was a simple way to disable the coupler with a big Kryptonite lock.
I'd forget all that stuff and just unbolt the coupler. Many are fastened to the reach with 2, grade 8 bolts. Easy off and back on. Is a thief likely to plan ahead for that? He'll move along.

Back