Trailer Bearing Recommendation

Max123

Boat trailer bearings are toast, and looking for a recommendation on a replacement brand (1-1/6" outer / 1-3/8" inner). Was curious if there are any high quality Japanese USA, etc bearing options. I'm assuming if I roll up to parts counter at Napa, I'm just getting the cheapest Chinese bearings. Same question with the seals - any particular type I should look for.

I was also curious, my trailer has a sleeve on the inner portion of the spindle that the seal sits against. One side was a bit scored up and needs to be replaced. I don't see this being part of any standard bearing kit, and wanted to find out if there is a good shop in Vancouver where i can pick up parts. Would much rather buy locally rather than through amazon or etrailer.

This is for a family lake boat that stays up at the cabin - the trailer maybe get 5 miles a year on it, and is thoroughly neglect as a result - but now I'm the designated repair person...

Last edited:
If it was me, I would go to the local marine store and buy a couple new hubs preloaded with bearings.
Pull the old hubs, clean up the spindle and replace with new hubs.
Cost is a little more but the time and mess saved is worth it.

Boat trailer bearings are toast, and looking for a recommendation on a replacement brand (1-1/6" outer / 1-3/8" inner). Was curious if there are any high quality Japanese USA, etc bearing options. I'm assuming if I roll up to parts counter at Napa, I'm just getting the cheapest Chinese bearings. Same question with the seals - any particular type I should look for.

I was also curious, my trailer has a sleeve on the inner portion of the spindle that the seal sits against. One side was a bit scored up and needs to be replaced. I don't see this being part of any standard bearing kit, and wanted to find out if there is a good shop in Vancouver where i can pick up parts. Would much rather buy locally rather than through amazon or etrailer.

This is for a family lake boat that stays up at the cabin - the trailer maybe get 5 miles a year on it, and is thoroughly neglect as a result - but now I'm the designated repair person...
That sleeve is a stainless speedy sleeve. I just installed them on my trailer. Island spring had the sizing of my sleeves as they are common sizes. I would call them and they will get you set up. Bearings usually are not the issue, water intrusion, grease leakage.

I put a Kodiak disk kit on my Road Runner trailer a few years ago when I bought the boat and trailer as a project. I used the stock bearings, seals and races from the kit but blew a couple bearings heading to Port Hardy for our annual trip. I ended up replacing the bearings and races with Timken brand components and have not had any issues since, not cheap but well worth it in my mind. I also have a complete new rotor, bearings and seals in case I have an issue again.

Any bearing should be able to cross reference to an SKF, NGK or Koyo bearing which I would consider higher quality units. I used to use BC Bearing in Burnaby years ago, there was one in Nanaimo too but they got bought by Motion Canada and last I checked they were more of a wholesaler. Was able to order through Baker Supply in Nanaimo last time I tried though.

Edit: Timken are good too!

Any bearing should be able to cross reference to an SKF, NGK or Koyo bearing which I would consider higher quality units. I used to use BC Bearing in Burnaby years ago, there was one in Nanaimo too but they got bought by Motion Canada and last I checked they were more of a wholesaler. Was able to order through Baker Supply in Nanaimo last time I tried though.

Edit: Timken are good too!
agreed on the bearing brands-stock chinese no brand bearings are junk -go with timkin or koyo-even if made in china the brand quality is worth it

Years ago there was a BC Bearing shop in Campbell River but they closed their doors for some reason, they had very reasonable prices for everything. I went through Motion Canada in Nanaimo when I bought those Timken bearings a few years ago and got great service.

try highliner trailers in delta. they are a manufacturer but they do service trailers. might as well just get the hub replaced with one of their bearing buddy hubs. E & H hitch shop also does good work if you want it done cheaper or highliner is busy.
i could service my own but i generally take it to E&H for the work.

Back