Trailer axel question

Tips Up

Looking to put new axle on my boat trailer.

I was looking for galvanized but have found a reputable shop that quoted me Double Heavy Wall Schedule 80 axle.
Advised me that it will last a lifetime and is stronger than galvanized because of the heat process used to galvanize.

Any one with metal experiance or axle experiance that can comment?

Thanks!
Tips

Looking to put new axle on my boat trailer.

I was looking for galvanized but have found a reputable shop that quoted me Double Heavy Wall Schedule 80 axle.
Advised me that it will last a lifetime and is stronger than galvanized because of the heat process used to galvanize.

Any one with metal experiance or axle experiance that can comment?

Thanks!
Tips

There is some truth there. Just compare the strength rating of a standard steel 3/8" chain to a 3/8" chain that's been galvanized. You'd be surprised at the difference. Schedule 80 is definitely a big strong tube!
Dave

Eventually, yes, it will rust. But so will the galvanized. Either totally seal the ends against water intrusion, or leave them open to allow to drain. Paint it properly. Galvanizing is just another form of surface coating that happens to use zinc as the sacrificial metal.

Well, RCA Dog you could not be more wrong. The galvanized will rust. Yes. But you're talking 30 years from now. Galvanizing not only "coats" inside and out, it penetrates the steel. It's called a metallurgical bond. I'm not trying to be an butt.. I have a galvanizing shop.
Rust will not be an issue in anyone's lifetime on these boards. Molten zinc baths are 840 deg and have absolutely no bearing on weakening the steel. Heat treated metals are treated at a MUCH higher temperature and require a completely different process.

I could go on and on.

Bottom line. If its in salt you're crazy not to go galvanized. Biased, maybe.

PM if you want more info

Well, RCA Dog you could not be more wrong. The galvanized will rust. Yes. But you're talking 30 years from now. Galvanizing not only "coats" inside and out, it penetrates the steel. It's called a metallurgical bond. I'm not trying to be an butt.. I have a galvanizing shop.
Rust will not be an issue in anyone's lifetime on these boards. Molten zinc baths are 840 deg and have absolutely no bearing on weakening the steel. Heat treated metals are treated at a MUCH higher temperature and require a completely different process.

I could go on and on.

Bottom line. If its in salt you're crazy not to go galvanized. Biased, maybe.

PM if you want more info

Agreed, no way galvanizing will make an axle weaker............

I had a set of axles made at shop in Langley about 10 years ago, they used schedule 80 and they are still good albeit very rusty looking.

As mentioned make sure they are sealed and paint them often, they still look like crap in no time though.

I would spring for getting them galvanized, if you plan on keeping it far a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for feedback.

No empire does not sell galvanized.

I am not worried about the galvanizing weakening the metal and compromising it. I will be putting on 3500lb axle and springs for a 17.5 ft boat that doesn't weigh near that. The only reason I am replacing the axle is because my leaf springs have flattened out (15 year old trailer) and in having a look at it decided I didn't want to put new springs on a rusty old axle that I have. It is rusty but probably will last many more years. The trailer is galvanized.

My conclusion is galvanized will cosmetically be better over the years and require no painting maintenance. The Steel would be fine also but will be rusty very quickly and will require painting.
I was just trying to save a few bucks and have the shop deal with it so I didn't have to.

I will look into a galvanized axle now because I trailer the boat and it is in and out of water almost weekly. If I was mooring and just needed trailer now and then I would probably go with steel.

Thanks!
Tips

Not disagreeing on the strength issue for low carbon steel. But hot dip galvanizing is a coating, metallurgically bonded or not. And eventually, everything rusts.

Finally got this sorted out.
Ordered direct from manufacturer in Vancouver.
Stocked and out the door next day. In my hands 2 days via bus.

Very reasonable price, exact replacement axle and galvanized.

Thanks for all the feedback. I learned some.

Tips

Was it a highliner trailer? I did the same thing - new axle direct from the manufacturer on the bus. It's worked out great so far almost 2 full season in the new axle/springs and the price was fair.

My Trailer is a Road Runner so I ordered from them. It was less expensive than Highliner quoted me by quite a bit but main reason to order from Road Runner was that it is the right axle for my trailer. No guessing.

Just passing on the info because I spent a lot of time looking for options and should have gone direct out of the gate. Hopefully can save someone else some time.

Tips

If i remember correctly mine was less then $600 for complete axle assembled (hubs, bearings and bearing buddy installed on the axle already etc.) plus 2 new leaf springs and some U bolts. I do not remember the load rating though might be 2,500 pounds.

All I had to do was take the old axle and springs off, put on the new gear using the supplied hardware and install the tires. I think it was Keith who helped me. Highly recommended anyone with future issues deal directly with your manufacturer. They can't sell you trailers directly but as myself and tips have found out they can sell you the parts and its sure nice to order from somebody who is an expert on whatever trailer you have.

Did this job on the weekend. Real easy.
Cut 4 bolts to drop old springs and axle.
6 lag bolts and 4 Ubolts to install new axle and springs.
Replaced a couple of rollers while I was at it.
Boat is 6-8" higher off the ground then it was. Got lots of clearance on fenders now. Only had a couple inches left and was bottoming out on bumps.

Carefull after you replace rollers if you had any that did not roll well before. Comes off like a runaway train now. LOL

Tips

Back