Tofino/Ucluelet Fishing

marcus44

Heading up island in August, wondering if there are any decent areas to fish from shore, piers or rocks? Fine with catching rock fish etc Any help is appreciated.

There's a couple ways to approach this one is to start off throwing small dark flies or spinners in shallower water for whatever (usually but not always Rockfish, Greenling & the like) and if that isn't working try a little larger flashier things which might appeal to Coho nosing around in the shallows.

Check size limits because there are lots of small Lings and a couple Walleye-sized ones make a fine lunch.

Last edited:
Go fish off the rocks at the Amphitrite Point Lighthouse for rockfish/lingcod. Bring a lifejacket and only go when the ocean is calm. Gets pretty gnarly during big swell.

Can anyone attest to the boat launch at low tide... If I can get out early tomorrow I can get a report

Depending on the boat/ trailer you can fall off the end of the ramp at a low tide. I'm referring to the seaplane launch. Smaller boats are generally fine. I can't get it out in less than about 4'. I don't know about the ramp at the eagles nest.

The morning hasn't been great anyhow. The salmon fishing the last handful of days has been lackluster. Bit of a lull atthe moment. It's been a bit so were due for another push. The mid day and evening tide have been passabl.

Wind is going to make things sporty

Depending on the boat/ trailer you can fall off the end of the ramp at a low tide. I'm referring to the seaplane launch. Smaller boats are generally fine. I can't get it out in less than about 4'. I don't know about the ramp at the eagles nest.

The morning hasn't been great anyhow. The salmon fishing the last handful of days has been lackluster. Bit of a lull atthe moment. It's been a bit so were due for another push. The mid day and evening tide have been passabl.

Wind is going to make things sporty
I see it being sporty, hoping to get out for a quick tour, couple friends from vancouver out and they just need to escape the wives.
Well hopefully can beat the low tide to get er in... thanks for that.

Got out Saturday 6-3pm, first time I didnt even get a salmon strike. Nothing happening was a bit sporty and fast tide so not a day I would usually go except had friends over from mainland.... we ended day with 4 ling and some decent rock cod... be back in a few weeks.

Back