The value of podding a boat...

hambone

I'm looking for some advice on what to do with a 14' welded aluminum c/c. She's a very capable and great fishing boat for 2 people but obviously limited due to size, wind chop being her worst enemy. The main use is trolling in tight to shore on the WCVI, places like Nootka.

It's come time to re-power or re-boat. I'm wondering how much of a difference do you guys think a pod would make on a smaller boat like this. An extra 1-2' in length would make a huge difference wouldn't it? I'm thinking a pod can also allow for storage/fuel/fish hold in the location where the motor well currently is.

Any advice on those who have dealt with podding boats and any pros/cons they may be able to provide. For what the boat is used for, it does a great job but the thought is that a slight re-investment might make her a bit more comfortable on windier days giving her the feel of a slighter larger boat. Are there any cons to adding a pod?

Just my .02c, but it by the time you re-power and pod the 14' boat, for a little more $$ you probably could get into
a decent 16-18' boat that would give you the extra room you need as well as let you get further
offshore.

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy extended his Callahan.. Added 2' to the stern and podded it.. You could do the same if the hull you have now is worth it to you.. Cost him 3500.00 plus the newer and bigger power he added.. Totally changed the boat.. He also added reverse chines/ lapstrakes.. Costly but he thinks it was worth it.
Is your boat a welded or riveted? A heavy built small alu boat may be worth doing this but if it is light tinny... Forget about it.. Get a 17-19' alu and go from there..

14' Kellahan welded. A re power is only a 30-50hp motor so not a monumental expense. With a pod and new power then the cost would be getting up there. Most used boats come with used outboards so it defeats the purpose of a re-power.

Cheap boat to run, fun to fish in tight to shore. The opportunities a bigger boat give you are tempting.... But you can still have just as much fun in a 14' most of the time.

Trophy, What size boat was your friends? Sounds like he did exactly what we are considering.

His was 19 with no pod..added 2' of deck. Ended up 22 1/2 LOA ... And he put a 150 opti on it.. It is a kellehan also.. Wash down deck so the gunnel height is a lil sketchy..

Here is the email addy of the guy who did the work. darren_gough@hotmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
ive never heard of or seen a pod on a smaller boat like that. Things that come to mind for me are:

Will you have stability issues once you put the motor out and back like that?
Will you have enough power once its out and back?
Will you be able to work on the motor in the open water safely?

I think I would consider a full hull extension instead of a pod.

I wouldn't pod a boat that small. Your weight balance will be moved to far to the stern making the handling characteristics less than desirable.

not a good idea. You can get away with a lot of "modifications" and not suffer the consequences on a bigger boat. You will always lose on a small boat. I would suggest buying a bigger boat and stay within the recommended horsepower. Any podded boat should be well calculated before it is built and installed.

beemer

Also, resale. It would be really hard to sell a boat that small podded, especially if you are trying to get anything close to your investment.

I’ll weigh in here… Hambone, don’t. That little skiff is just that …a skiff. At best it is a lake boat, nothing more.
With all due respect bud, it’s a bad idea. That skiff was designed for a couple people and a small motor. Some people get away with pulling their inboards and putting a pod on too but I have never been comfortable with that concept either. Pulling the weight out of the keel and extending it out past the transom. They never ride the same. Boats are designed with specific weight displacement throughout the hull.
Adding length, flotation and extending the weight of the motor aft (I’m sure you’ll go bigger now) on a 14’ skiff will not only alter the stability and steering, it’ll prob look stupid as hell.
Also, whether you’re fishing the shoreline or not on the WCVI, a 14’ skiff is an accident waiting to happen. Pod or no pod.
About 20 yrs ago, my buddy and I were rolled over by the surf in an 18’ Alumarine off of Nitnat. It’s a terrible situation to experience, if you live thru it. I still think about it…
Save your money bud, invest in a bigger boat for WCVI.

FishTofino – “…The ocean is a mean ***** that wants to kill you. My 2 cents worth."

Fish whisperer, were you plucked out by Kenyan? I know he rescued some guys way back off Nitnat. Just lucky because he went up the night before and anchored up and arrived early in the morning.

I had a 15' liftetimer one of the originals they first built. With this boat I pulled the 35hp 2-stroke merc, flipped the boat upside down and extended the bottom out around 18". Then built the sides to match/follow factory sides about half the heigth.
Filled the pod with foam Leaving room to access engine bolts and welded the top cap on.
Found a used 45hp honda rebuilt the carbs (pre 50 hp no power tilt). It worked great, made the seating so one person sat behind me, center console for the driver and small jumper on the front of the console all in the center line to avoid listing while transitting. Fished Nootka, Renfrew did some dive trips loved it.
For me this was dirt cheap as I had access to a welder and a fair amount of exp with boats "all be it" I was younger at the time. Worked for me!

Thanks for the all input guys... The pod idea has been abandoned.

Personally I find small center consoles to be perfectly safe. Little whalers and c/c aluminum boats are perfect for WCVI onshore fishing as long as you know your limits. If you make bad decisions any boat is dangerous. Anyways... Thanks again fellas.

would be another 4g+ to get it up here from MA,

Back