The Trailer Hook

treblig

An old idea,, brings new light to local fishing
Success!!

Trailer hooks are not a new idea. It has been used mainly for short striking fish. That is a fish that doesn’t fully commit to biting the lure. Most have been on the bass market. The fly fishermen also have been using this technique very successfully. A lot of the Tube flies have the hook trailing farther back. Salmon trolling with Bucktail flies are normally double hooked and the last is a trailer

A friend this year created a way to use a trailer hook on the spoon lures he uses for steelhead. He was, as a lot of us are aware the large damage that the manufacture hooks does. If you’re catching and releasing it breaks your heart when see what occurs. Fishing the rivers with his spoons having the trailer hook set up this way his catch rate were all positioned in the mouth rim for an easy release.

When I saw how he created this I immediately took all of my hooks and split rings off my spoons during beach fishing for salmon last year. There is a huge percent of short strikes when fishing for the salmon on our beaches. Also with Coho salmon they are famous for the rolling and spinning there is quite a few lost due to the hook tearing out.

The Dacron line and the smaller hook made it such a simple change but very effective. It allows the hook to move and swing freely without resistance.
The loss of salmon on the short strikes during our salmon beach fishing was reduced significantly. The hook sets were all positioned in the mouth and was not detrimental to the salmon survival.

If you're a spoon caster and find your getting allot of short strike misses try this out. You will be amazed at the results.
P9240027.jpgP9240031_2.jpgP9240035_2.jpgPA020002_2.jpgPA060021.jpgPA060022.jpgPA060025.jpgPA140004_2.jpgPA140006.jpg

And commence the " I hope you're not releasing those fish after skidding it up on the beach" comments.....:D

I used this dacron trailing method last year for coho and chums in the river.Worked like a hot dam.I think I'll try it in the saltchuck this year on any spoons I drag and see how they perform on the troll.

When I saw how he created this I immediately took all of my hooks and split rings off my spoons during beach fishing for salmon last year.
The Dacron line and the smaller hook made it such a simple change but very effective. It allows the hook to move and swing freely without resistance.

Won't the raw edge of the spoon hole cut through or wear through the Dacron, at least over time? Wouldn't it be better to leave the split ring and attach the Dacron to the split ring? Just asking???

Hi Slabby20

You are right and it is possible but I have not worn out one yet in the full season last year. It is so easy to just replace the Dacron and its cheap, that is what I will do this season . It's only a loop on one end so easy to undo. If you are casting of the beach it won't hurt to make one up and see how your catch rate will increase , the reduction of loss salmon from hooks tearing out and of course the release is so easy.

When you tie the knot in that 30 lb test Dacron, are you using a double overhand knot? That is what I have tried so far.
I picked up on this method from the fishing with rod website.
I have started trying it out in the saltchuck, and agree that it is a good idea.
I have found that the small spoons can get all bent out of shape with their original ring and hook, but fare better when using this loop method.
I get to use all my Mustad 92553 stainless hooks that were just sitting there.

When you tie the knot in that 30 lb test Dacron, are you using a double overhand knot? That is what I have tried so far.
I have started trying it out in the saltchuck, and agree that it is a good idea.
I have found that the small spoons can get all bent out of shape with their original ring and hook, but fare better when using this loop method.

Thanks for sharing this with us Treblig. I will give that a go this season. Nice pictures as well the fourth one down looks like a monster.

Yes I use a double hand overhand knot one over the other . So Two double overhand knots Overhand1s.jpgOverhand2s.jpg

Back