The Gold is Cold

Steelhead S2

No fish for us on the Gold today, and we covered an awful lot of it. This was more of an exploratory trip that anything, and the perfect day for it. Beautiful clear skies and good water conditions. But we caught nothing but a skunk -and they don't even live on the Island. Met a few other guys with similar reports.

In case the two guys in the black Tacoma or the guy with a dog in the black CRV (I think) are on here, nice to meet you. Did it ever turn on?

Not sure when I'll be out again. If everything works out, I may stroll a little farther afield next weekend. Definitely loving life on the North Island!

i was out with a friend on the 30th and 31st on the gold driving a silver nissan car. cold fishin man, hit the river hard for 2 days and same results as u... was my first time in the gold and it sure is a beautiful river, it was nice to explore new water

Thanks for the encouragement Holmes! YS I may have met you at the golf course run??? You asked a few questions about my wading staff? Maybe it wasn't, but two guys showed up in a car that seemed silverish. Me and my bud were in the silver Taco.

ya that was myself and my buddy from van.. he had never caught a steelhead b4 and after two days on the gold i was not dissapointed to not get into any fish, but i felt bad about him not getting into any steel... on new years day i took him up to the stamp and got him his first steel and two more that day... i have never done that b4, my rod didn`t get much casting that day, spent most of the time telling my buddy where to cast, but it was probably the most memorable adventure yet.

There you go, good on you and your friend! And nice to meet you, in a round-about fashion. We braved the snow after we saw you, and covered a lot of ground.

its awesome meeting other young guys into steelheading, by the way thats a great idea having a telescopic wading pole.. who makes it and how much ... and are they durable

Mine is not that good, as it pulls apart when it gets stuck in between rocks. I thing it is a Springbock, and it lasts as long as the bungee inside (fore ever). My buddy just picked up one made my Simms and it is very much superior. It locks together and has coated cable running through it. About $140, but it is as good as they come.

I hardly use mine, but when I do I'm always glad to have it. It will get you out of some jams. It it a tangler when you're fly fishing, but all in all, I'd rather curse a tangle than drown.

I used to have one called a Folstaf..(I think)..it sat in a nice leather holster on my hip until I lifted it out whereupon it unfolded and locked together quite nicely. Had an aluminum bottom that was quite sticky when required and the bungee-cord down the centre worked well. I lost it when I was robbed way back in January of 1996. Nowadays I use an old ski pole attached via a strong cord. Bit more of a pain but then I'm not fishing near as much as I used to.
Can't recall what I paid for the Folstaf but it was worth it.

Take care.

Back