The best boat

• Thread starter Thread starter tailslap
  • Start date Start date
T

tailslap

Hello I am fairly new to boating/fishing and am looking to buy a boat for my family to fish in. Safety is my number one priority. My question is what would you buy? Fiberglass or aluminum? Why are Grady Whites so expensive and are they worth it? Why are trophies so much less and are they worth it?
Thanks in advance
TS

Like anything, you get exactly what you pay for, and nothing more. Grady White boats are overbuilt fishing machines, that do tend to have some flaws but are considered the pinnacle of a production fishing machine. It's probably unlikeley that you will jump on one for your first boat, a lot of guys are bringing up crap from the states, so look out. Get a hull survey, and just be prepared how much work a boat that sells new for over 100 grand will take once it ages to the point where someone looking for a starter boat will buy it.

A Trophy, especially a newer one, is your standard walk-around fishing boat, and the ones I have seen of late are not bad for the price (Say 1990 and up). Aluminium is practicly indesctructible, but you usually sacrifice ride quality. Besides, Aluminium is expensive, if you have to ask how much, you usually are not prepared to spend what it takes to buy one.

Unless you are looking for something small, say under 20 feet, then there are only so many ways you can build a boat for ride.

For a family, I would suggest staying away from a walk around "fishing machine" as there is very little room to put the wife and kids in. Besides, what passes for a mini kitchenette/head/sleeping area is usually pretty small and spartan in an entry level walk around "fishing machine".

For a starter, something like an 18 Ft Hourston/Double Eagle are "good" small boats. Expect to pay good money for them, better to get a good simple boat then an expensive turd. And get someone who knows boats to look at one before you buy, seeing if it floats and drives only scratches the tip of the iceberg.

For safety, take a Power Squadron's course. Do everything they say.

And maybe tag along with a few experienced friends who fish, or a few trips with a guide to get the hang of boating and being on a boat before you let her rip on the water. (Lots of good guides on this site). This will establish that first off, if boating is indeed for you and your family, and give you an idea of what can happen as soon as you cast off from the dock and go, and last, but not least, show you some success so that if you run into a wall when learning to fish, you will know that there can be light at the end of the tunnel.

BTW, I have probably one of the more safe/stable fishing machines for sale, may be a big jump for a starter boat, but it's taken hundreds of my guests miles offshore and back with loads of fish. :D

If you are new at this racket and not sure,buy something like a 17 to 18 foot older,hourston or double eagle with as new power as you can.If you find a good one for sale [extremely hard]they hold thier value and are easy to resell.Very few people sell them you have to be quick to get a good one.They are a safe,stable boat,built super tough.DAN

quote:Good luck-- I have given this a lot of thought lately as I am just now starting to look at upgrading from my trusty 17ft Hourston because I have caught a common disease of fishermen ..... its called "two footitis"!!!
I think I caught it from you too CA, I'm looking as well. I can tell my wife it's your fault.:D
T2

Well do you want your boat to sink or not? Heaven forbid anything bad ever happens out on the water to anyone of us, but at least I (like many others who have seen the wisdom in this) own a boat that you can cut in half and it will still float... no matter what! Grady's are overpriced transom rotting machines! Ask anyone who's in the know, they have a bad reputation for it. When I looked around before I went out and bought a new 144K whaler. I looked at all the types available. Seemed to me Pursuit makes a good boat as does Grady I suppose, seen a few Bertrum's I liked. Cobia's wern't bad, Those metal boats with the cover on them didn't look too bad either. But in the end I went with the only one of them that if any thing bad ever happened I know would still float. The resaon I went with the Whaler is obvious I have kids. No matter if they were out fishing with me or not, I still have an obligation to protect myself or them to the best of my ability. Out of all the boats I had a choice of buying I am glad I went with the Whaler! I since sold that boat and bought an equally safe smaller 20 foot whaler. If she was to fill up with water you could park a small car on her and she still wouldn't sink! I bought a walk though cuddy cabin 20' revenge. It serves all purposes for my family well. The nice thing about a cuddy cabin is you can use it to fish, ski, sleep, overnight, or go for day trips. If the weather is bad you can always get out of the weather if you have a top for it. Watch out for Boston Whaler "type" boats.. there not Boston Whalers. Since I have owned a couple of Boston Whalers I couldn't see myself riding in anything else.

Come by and see what other Boston WHaler owners have to say about their boats. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/

Thanks to all of you guys for taking the time to educate me! There is a ton of good scoop here and I will keep watching and TAKE MY TIME.
TS

I get a couple of calls a week from guys looking to buy a fishing machine or close to it....most of what the boys above have said is true and great advice!
One thing that is going to ring true more so now is junk imported from the states...becareful that the vessel is not hurricane damaged and that the hull has had a recent survey as well.
Remember the same rule applies to boats just like anything else....If it looks like a deal that is to good to be true...it probably is not such a good deal in the end!

I think its important to understand that fiberglass is repairable, and is also relatively inexpensive to repair. I had my boat re gelcoated from the waterline down. Its a 26 foot boat and the gelcoat work cost me 5000$. This was a suprise for me as I bought it from florida and it was supposed to be in good shape , turned out to have moderate osmosis below the waterline.. The boat was just what I was looking for but was in the water and could not be easily removed for a complete survey. I got it for a good enough price that I had room (dollar wise)to absorb any suprise that I may find. So, even with having the major fiberglass/ gelcoat work done on it, I still came out way ahead., and I have a one of a kind boat. I guided out of it all summer and already cant wait until next year.

thats the main thing I think, it just make sure you save money after the purchase for all the "surprises" that come with buying a used boat.

Back