Switching from Commercial to Pleasurecraft

aeroblade

Hey there. My new (used) boat has a commercial license the prior owner never used. That said, the registration number clearly identifies the boat as commercial and I have no interest in keeping that; it has liabilities that I have no interest in dealing with.

Does anyone here know how to switch from a commercial registration to a pleasure craft license? I haven't transferred ownership yet since I'm trying to figure out what the best path for the switch.

I looked online extensively and I haven't found a conclusive explanation of what I should do in this situation.

Thanks for any help!

i bought a boat with c numbers but had paperwork that had the old bc numbers from before it was switched, when i talked to the government they said to just use the previous bc numbers

Hmm. Okay, I haven't seen a cancellation option. I'll have to call them.
I'd call - I just went the other way ( from pleasure to C) I was told to cancel my pleasure than apply for my C number. I had responses for both within 1 day - I would recommend calling TC and getting clarification on the process.

TC took a good 45 days to get my large vessel registration done but at least they picked up the phone quickly. and told me they didnt know. YMMV.
maybe give them a call.

So it looks like I follow this procedure for closing it, and then register anew as a pleasure craft:

Attached are the procedures for the closing of a commercial registration in the small vessel registry. You will need to provide the bill of sale showing the chain of title and request the closing in writing(email to this address is fine) with a reason for closing(using as pleasure craft is sufficient).

Attached is the document with more information for anyone else in this predicament!

Attachments

Back