Suzuki Kicker in Limp Mode - Help!

Ringo

Crew Member
I have a 2019 Suzuki 9.9 EFI with less than 200 hours. I did the basic oil and filter change earlier this year but didn’t use the kicker for a few months. On a trip last week, I started the motor and let it warm up for a few minutes. It starts and idles fine but when putting it in gear and going to 2500-3000 rpm range, the alarm goes off and the solid engine check light goes on with the motor kicking back into idle (limp mode?) there’s one beep every 5 seconds. Turn it off and start again and the episode repeats.
Engine oil level is a hair below the max point on the stick and there’s a ton of water coming out of the telltale. I also replaced the impeller and housing as a cautionary. Drained the VST and didn’t see any sign of water in the fuel. I only use marine grade gas and have a new Racor filter in the circuit.

The motor is still under warranty so I don’t want to do any experimenting with the power head or the cooling system. Tried to open the thermostat cover but one of the bolts looks too hard to reach.

Talked to the dealer last week and he thinks that there’s too much oil in the motor and that it’s been making oil over the last few months. Going to change oil again and give it another try tomorrow.

For the experts out there; what could be causing the issue and is there a quick fix for this? I’m just trying to avoid the trip to the dealership which is booking for another 20 days at this point!!

I have a 2019 Suzuki 9.9 EFI with less than 200 hours. I did the basic oil and filter change earlier this year but didn’t use the kicker for a few months. On a trip last week, I started the motor and let it warm up for a few minutes. It starts and idles fine but when putting it in gear and going to 2500-3000 rpm range, the alarm goes off and the solid engine check light goes on with the motor kicking back into idle (limp mode?) there’s one beep every 5 seconds. Turn it off and start again and the episode repeats.
Engine oil level is a hair below the max point on the stick and there’s a ton of water coming out of the telltale. I also replaced the impeller and housing as a cautionary. Drained the VST and didn’t see any sign of water in the fuel. I only use marine grade gas and have a new Racor filter in the circuit.

The motor is still under warranty so I don’t want to do any experimenting with the power head or the cooling system. Tried to open the thermostat cover but one of the bolts looks too hard to reach.

Talked to the dealer last week and he thinks that there’s too much oil in the motor and that it’s been making oil over the last few months. Going to change oil again and give it another try tomorrow.

For the experts out there; what could be causing the issue and is there a quick fix for this? I’m just trying to avoid the trip to the dealership which is booking for another 20 days at this point!!
Could try and poke a piece of hose in the oil fill and suck a cup of it out.

How long after running under load does it go into limp mode? Also just because theres water coming out the telltale doesn't mean the water is making it through the head. I've had mine do this alot where one of the cooling passages in the head gets blocked and you get a gradient overheat alarm. It usually would pop up after not running it for a while. Try hooking up a hose with good pressure and flushing for a good 10 plus minutes, adding salt away is useful too. I have the suzuki software and cables if your in the Nanaimo or central island area i can scan it to see the code popping up.

If the engine is making oil there are a number of potential causes.

First remedy would be to complete an oil change as any fuel in the oil degrades its performance and engine protection. Removing some will still leave contaminated oil in the engine.

There could also be a thermostat issue. I have noticed this season that a few of the boats I fish with, including mine, had thermostat failures. I think this is related to the manufacturer of the thermostats using materials that will more easily corrode than earlier production runs....at least that is what they looked like on the 3 failures I've seen. I will be changing my thermostats et end of each season now as I don't have confidence in the new ones we are getting. Also, one of potential reasons for making oil is the thermostat is running the engine too cold. You may want to investigate putting in a higher temp rated thermostat.

Possibly an impeller issue, although if you have really good water pressure from the tell tale that isn't as likely the cause.

I have a little newer same motor. I had a similar issue with limp mode. In my case it was a thermostat that dealer replaced under warranty. Hours wise when it happened it was below 100 hours.

It sounds like thermostat. Check that or take it in.

Thanks guys. I replaced the impeller and housing earlier this year and barely used the motor after that.

I just changed the engine oil and filter again and flushed with Saltaway for 20 minutes. Will take it out on the water for a spin but I doubt that there was any issues with the oil as it looked clear and had good viscosity. It still sprayed cold water after 20 minutes of idling which tells me that it’s very likely a thermostat issue. Getting access to the bottom bolt on the thermostat cover was a PITA. Decided to put everything back together and do something better with my time lol
I’ll take her to the dealer if it kicks in limp again.

@Unreel It starts on the first crank and can idle for as long as I want but almost a minute after giving it some RPM, it drops to idle and the alarm goes off. Thanks for the offer but unfortunately I’m on the mainland.

I think the culprit is starting to sound more and more like the thermostat - sadly not uncommon these days. Best of luck.

Back