Surge brakes & Canadian Tire.

hooked for life

We recently brought a 24 ft bayliner up from the states and the trailer had surge breaks. Took it straight to crappy tire for inspection. They passed it. Now we find that we have to covert to electric brakes at a cost of a grand because GVW is over 6100lbs. How did they get away with passing it. Cost me $150 for inspection.

Yes, that is the law. What you are looking for is a brake controller in the tow vehicle and an electric actuator on the trailer, the rest of the breaking system should be ok. It won't be cheap.

I don't understand why CT charged you $150. When I brought my boat and tandem trailer back from the US last summer, I had it inspected at CT and the only cost was the environmental tire fee of $5.00 per tire plus the taxes. The actual inspection is a joke, my trailer only had brakes on 1 axle, but in BC brakes are needed on both axles -it passed the inspection and no notation made on the report. They never had the keys to my truck to check if the brakes or the lights work, - what kind of inspection is that, I think the only thing they verified was the VIN. I spoke to a trailer shop in Richmond and they said the same thing. It is not a safety inspection.

Back