sunk boat

alumaman

I'm considering a boat which was partially sunk in a harbor. it has twin 250 suzuki's which were fully submerged but not running. It's cheap so what would have to be done to the engines to get them up to snuff?

If they were submerged for more than a couple days, they may need to be torn down and cleaned up, maybe replace and/or repair rusty components. may get really expensive. How long was it under water for? Are they 4 strokes?

yeah thier late model 4 strokes w/30 hours on them. the boat trailer and motors are 15k
If they were submerged for more than a couple days, they may need to be torn down and cleaned up, maybe replace and/or repair rusty components. may get really expensive. How long was it under water for? Are they 4 strokes?

They will both need a complete teardown and rebuild unless they were serviced immediately after being remove from the water. Engines that are submerged in salt water will begin to rust internally as soon as they are removed from the water. The bearing surfaces will become etched from the rust/corrosion and will need to be replaced.

Might be worth it if you can do the work yourself.

the motors will never be what the they were. rebuilds ect time MONEY with no guarantees, corrosion on connections sensors computers. not to mention all the submerged wiring , switches, batteries accessories like trim tab motors.
its a big job...
if the motors were removed from the water and not cleared run up immediately they will be junk forever pitting on the crank and other internal components starts as soon as air hits. even if its to be rebuilt if cleared properly and the run up with fogging oil or something similar the oil coats the metal preventing corrosion and the clean engines oil helps slow the process down on internal components. in fact in some cases its better to leave the motor under water till a shop can get to it as it won't corrode nearly as fast. to replace the two mains would be a tough pill to swallow. i personally wouldn't get into a project like that it could just hemorrhage money and time.

Stay away my bro owns a mechanic shop ,your better to just get the hull and slap new motors or lease returns on it. Unless there free and you have a lot of time and can do it yourself its mt worth it.

I wouldn't feel right on the water in a boat that sank. Superstition. Just one mans view.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just heard back from the guy, 14-16k for repairs. thanks for the comments and good advice.

The engines will be junk if it has been out of the water without them being torn down within a few hours. An easy confirmation is to take out the plugs and try and turn it over by hand...it will be seized up tight. Pay for the boat and not the engines...you will have a few good spare parts...legs, props, maybe tilt motors etc.

Do yourself a BIG favor, and WAlK, no RUN away from the deal. A sunken boat will NEVER be any good, unless you re-power and re-wire.

Stosh

Back