Storing fuel under decks

pescador

I found space under the floor boards of my boat originally intended for a second fuel cell (an option on Grady's). The cavity is large and I intend to put in a hatch to access it and place a tray in it for storage purposes. I'll keep my tools, spare prop and a few other things in it. I always carry 10 litres of fuel on the boat in a separate container in case my fuel gauge acts up. This is normally kept on the back open deck tied down. What I have been thinking is that this added storage space would be a good place to put the extra fuel container. Is there any risk keeping fuel in a separate container below decks? I close the cap tightly (not vented). I'm just concerned about gas fumes escaping and building up in the hold. Theoretically it can't happen in the cap is well sealed. Anyone else do this?

I would avoid that. Too much bouncing around which risks rupture of the plastic container. Even vibration over time can rub a hole in it and spew fuel below decks. First time you hit switch on an electrical motor down there the explosion would rock you into next week.

What he said. Bad idea. Keep it out on the open deck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enclosed space..expanding and contracting plastic gas cans from temp changes...vapours...spark = kaboom Keep the gas out in the open air.

I was in a fleet of boats fishing the Tyee Pool area in Campbell River one year when another boat had a small fuel leak and fire, it wasn't more than 5 seconds and that boat was fully engulfed and the family on board was jumping for their lives. It was a scary ugly situation that showed me the value of not having any possible gas vapours below decks. Carrying fuel under decks in anything other than a proper fuel tank is a recipe for disaster IMO, and if you do decide to do so perhaps also a good idea to ask your insurer if this might impact your insurability.

Portable fuel tanks are often stored in "compartments" - a kicker day tank, for instance. The compartments must be in the open or well ventilated, though:

ABYC 2.6.1.1 Spaces that are open to the atmosphere do not require ventilation.

2.6.1.2 Compartments or spaces connecting with engine or portable fuel tank spaces that are open to the atmosphere do not require ventilation if the connecting space has an open area of at least 15 square inches (9677 mm2) per cubic foot of its net volume. The open area shall be open either to the atmosphere or into another open space, providing there is a total area open to the atmosphere for the combined net volume of the connecting spaces of at least 15 square inches (9677 mm2) per cubic foot.

2.6.1.3 Long narrow spaces with a length to width ratio greater than 1:5, e.g., side panels or under accommodation compartment floors, shall have openings at both ends or along the sides if they are to be considered open to the atmosphere.

It sounds like the space in question doesn't comply with the ABYC ventilation requirements for storage of a portable fuel tank.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. I'll keep it above decks. Good point on the insurance as well.

i had a red 25 littre can crack and spill 2and a half gallons under the deck into the bilge once ,not fun to clean up, out in the open air only place to keep fuelsafely

After running out of fuel once during the first year I owned the boat, (learning experience that 1/4 on the gas gauge was actually empty!) I now keep 10 litres of fuel in a plastic gas can. I store it below the floor in a space that I keep my anchor and a spool of rope. I have done this for 12 years. Now I know that just because I've done it for 12 years and not had any problems doesn't mean that it may be the right thing to do. Personally I feel comfortable doing this. I fill the gas can up, tighten the lid and turn the gas can upside down and shake the sh*t out of the can. Not a drop of fuel comes out. The lid has an air tight seal so I feel confident that no fumes can escape. In fact I am so comfortable doing this I just bought another 10 liter gas can that I plan to store under my sleeper seats.

If you have lots a room you could put a Jerry can or two in a Rubbermaid container. Should help it from getting damaged and if it does the Rubbermaid will contain the leak!

Storing fuel below decks in non-approved spaces and not vented and drained is like playing russian roulette-you may get away with it for awhile but eventually it'll bite you!!! Boom!!

I've carried an extra 10 gallons in approved cans on deck for longer trips when I didn't want to think about running low on fuel. I always dump that fuel into the boats tank asap, especially if the water is flat. Not a fun job if the sea gets crappy and your trying to pour fuel.

After running out of fuel once during the first year I owned the boat, (learning experience that 1/4 on the gas gauge was actually empty!) I now keep 10 litres of fuel in a plastic gas can. I store it below the floor in a space that I keep my anchor and a spool of rope. I have done this for 12 years. Now I know that just because I've done it for 12 years and not had any problems doesn't mean that it may be the right thing to do. Personally I feel comfortable doing this. I fill the gas can up, tighten the lid and turn the gas can upside down and shake the sh*t out of the can. Not a drop of fuel comes out. The lid has an air tight seal so I feel confident that no fumes can escape. In fact I am so comfortable doing this I just bought another 10 liter gas can that I plan to store under my sleeper seats.
This is an incredibly unwise thing to do. These are the actions that get people killed and then when it happens everyone just shakes thier heads and says " What was he thinking?????"

Anybody got a suggestion for a manual fuel pump for transferring fuel? I was thinking of carrying spare fuel but it would be awkward to fuel at sea. I've had two Flo and Goes ,both of which broke almost immediately.

Yes, this is a good question. I want to pump the fuel out of my boat into my SUV before a long trip to reduce the trailer load/weight. I'm also looking for a safe easy way to transfer fuel from one tank to another. Anybody got any suggested means to do this?

I don't know sounds like a bunch of nannys worrying to me. It's a robust purpose built container with less potential leak points than a built in fuel tank. Jerry can has one opening for the spout, lots don't even have vents. Your built in tanks have vent lines, fill lines, supply ports (often more than 1), sending unit holes and all the rubber hose and hose clamps that go with it. Forget about multiple built in tanks. How often do you worry warts pull your floors to check connections out or change the gasket under the sending unit? Secure it so it doesn't move around and I personally wouldn't worry.

I use a siphon tube from Cambodian Tire. Takes a few minutes each jerry can but gets almost 100% out and zero spillage. Just a plastic hose with a check ball in one end and you just stuff it in the jerry can with a "jerking " motion and the flow starts after about three or four "jerks" :)

Yes, this is a good question. I want to pump the fuel out of my boat into my SUV before a long trip to reduce the trailer load/weight. I'm also looking for a safe easy way to transfer fuel from one tank to another. Anybody got any suggested means to do this?

I don't know sounds like a bunch of nannys worrying to me. It's a robust purpose built container with less potential leak points than a built in fuel tank. Jerry can has one opening for the spout, lots don't even have vents. Your built in tanks have vent lines, fill lines, supply ports (often more than 1), sending unit holes and all the rubber hose and hose clamps that go with it. Forget about multiple built in tanks. How often do you worry warts pull your floors to check connections out or change the gasket under the sending unit? Secure it so it doesn't move around and I personally wouldn't worry.
Have a look at that same jerry can once it has had a chance to be in that same hold when the temps are up. You'll see a bloated, pressurized, fume filled bomb that has no guarantees of what pressure it will hold or when it will no longer hold pressure. You store fuel any way you want. I will stand by to receive you from the water when you boat burns to the water line.

Have a look at that same jerry can once it has had a chance to be in that same hold when the temps are up. You'll see a bloated, pressurized, fume filled bomb that has no guarantees of what pressure it will hold or when it will no longer hold pressure. You store fuel any way you want. I will stand by to receive you from the water when you boat burns to the water line.

Loosen cap, squeeze can with knees, tighten cap, no bulging.

Back