sticky steering on outboard

saltydawg

I seem to have a continual problem with my outboard steering freezing up during periods of inactivity. Presently I spray the steering bar and linkage with wd 40 and try to give the steering wheel a couple of turns every once in awhile. Steering is almost frozen tight if I forget for a couple of weeks. any tips??

WD is bad news on your steering. It breaks down grease and evaporates. I have been told to use Fluid Ease. Seems to work great.

Tips

Seen that on a friends boat. He pulled it apart and ran a drill bit thru the part on the motor. Bit was the same size as the hole. My guess was it just cleaned it up in there. New water repellent grease and it has been good for the last 2 years. I would not use wd40 as a lube it breaks down grease. GLG

Keep the motor turned hard--a-port so that the "piston" or steering bar is always kept within the outer sheath of the steering cable. Keeps it lubed and dirt and grime off. But, it will still pay to crank the steering wheel back and forth every few weeks over the winter. No avoiding this chore.

you can also buy a end piece that covers the motor shaft area , and it allows you to lube/grease, it makes a water tight seal

The problem most likely is in the tilt tube. On my 115hp Merc it is a very easy job.
I do the following.

1) remove the steering rod from the tilt tube
2) spray the interior of the tilt tube with WD40 or something similar
3) let the WD40 soak in for a few minutes
4) clean the tilt tube with a wooden dowel and a piece of cloth(you can also use a bore cleaner from a shotgun. The more crud you remove the less future problems you will have.
5) apply a good quality marine grease to the inside of the tilt tube and the steering rod.
6) reassemble and it should be as good as new.

WD 40 is not a lubricant.
If this does not work, it probably is the steering cable.