Stewart Spoon Question for the Tyee Experts

Mako 22

Found a Clendon Stewart No. 8. Shown with a Gibbs No 7.

Tb5nneu.jpg

zEt4lW9.jpg

Note the lack of a swivel.

Bothered me for a moment, then I googled a bit and found this thread where it was mentioned the action would be speeded up if you removed the swivel.
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...ial-spoons-the-theory-behind-their-use.65423/

From the looks of the wear on the hole, this one had a lot of wiggles:

FGBJ3Bv.jpg

So maybe removing the swivel was a Highliner's secret.

Comments!?

I'm going to guess it didn't catch at the speed a commercial troller fished, so he cut off the swivel and fished it a lot. He made piles of money, sold his boat for a good price in 1983, then retired to Hawaii. Then the spoon sat in a sportfisher's tackle box until 2010 and he or she caught many fish when the pilchards were thick that summer. Then you found it at a thrift shop.

Mine have swivels.

I'm going to guess it didn't catch at the speed a commercial troller fished, so he cut off the swivel and fished it a lot. He made piles of money, sold his boat for a good price in 1983, then retired to Hawaii. Then the spoon sat in a sportfisher's tackle box until 2010 and he or she caught many fish when the pilchards were thick that summer. Then you found it at a thrift shop.

Mine have swivels.
Awesome

Mine have swivels.

Somebody will be along to debate that soon enough.

Having worked on a troller for years, I can't imagine anyone deliberately putting it in the water without a swivel. I suspect it got removed at some point after it was retired. It would be lost very quickly with the first dogfish rigged like that.

High speed trolling, sounds like fun. Break out the 20 pound cannonballs for the downrigger.

I played on a 47 foot troller way back in abut 1979. Spent a week trying to learn to not get seasick. The stabilizers helped! had to remember to deploy them though. Captain finally booted me.

This boat fished Tomics, Hot Spot Flashers & hoochies, sometimes whole herring behind a flasher. Not too much spoon use except for a Tom Mack or two in the spreads.

Having worked on a troller for years, I can't imagine anyone deliberately putting it in the water without a swivel. I suspect it got removed at some point after it was retired. It would be lost very quickly with the first dogfish rigged like that.

My guess is the swivel was a bunch of green corrosion and it was clipped.

The spoon was nearly black when I got it. Its new home will be in one of my shadow boxes on the wall.

Last edited:
The Clendon is quite different action than the Stewart. Your #7 is what is referred to as an Improved Stewart. I generally fish my spoons in the pool with a Quick Change so I can easily switch spoons while fishing. Using a high quality Quick Change allows me to attach right to the Spoon Ring. Your Spoon certainly has some wear ! I would imagine its caught some fish. What did you polish it with ? Its all scratched up.. Throw away the Steel wool and get some PEAK or Flitz polish, It does a much nicer job and wont ruin the finish.

CR Greg

Back