Steelite reel

• Thread starter Thread starter BOJANGLE
  • Start date Start date
B

BOJANGLE

I have a Steelite reel, which is made in Australia...problem is, I've lost the tension wingnut and spring.. the Net doesn't seem to have a local supplier......anybody have one of these ?
Or know where to get one? I really like the action of the reel, and would like to salvage ..

I fished with one of these reels with my dad when I was a kid - fishing coho's offshore of the Comox ferry slip in the late 60's/early 70's. I still have the reel and use it from time to time - they really stand up. Where to get part's I don't know. If mine ever stopped working, I'd send it to you for parts, but it still works well after 35 years.

If you aren't successful in getting parts, try an Alvey reel - they are quite similar and equally sturdy.

Cheers

I've seen a few of these reels on ebay. I would suggest watching for one to come up and use it as a parts reel or vise versa. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Found one on EBay for $30 .. in Englang !! hope he ships to Canada
Thnax for the comebacks !

I RECENTLY STARTED A ROD AND REEL REPAIR BUSINESS AND HAVE LOTS OF STEELITE, ALVEY, AND PEETZ PARTS. WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR EXACTLY?
THANKS DON

Don-do you have a website yet?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

What a coincidence to find a Steelite thread! My Steelite 1869 blew up at Pedder Bay yesterday when I hooked into what turned out to be a large Ling. The nut holding the crank in place came off and the thing fell apart. Funny thing is we netted the cod after putting on some gloves and doing a hand over hand retrieve. I found the nut and one washer in the bilges but when I reassembled the reel it kind of wobbles on the winding spindle. I'm thinking there is another washer inside the mechanism I can't find. Can anyone post some pix of the inside of this pretty cool reel for its age. Thanks, Nick

Considering the post in 11 years old and he doesn't have an account anymore I kind of doubt it.

What model reel is it? I might have some old ones in my shop.
Would you have a 5 inch Steelite 1869? Not sure if I am missing a part for mine or if it's just worn out!

Back