Stamp Coho

• Thread starter Thread starter tortuga
  • Start date Start date
I was up at the falls about 10 days ago, lots of springs in the system, the Rob Cr hatchery guys said 250 fish had come through that morning, mostly cohos. I helped one guy land an 18 lb Chrome spring, he had caught a 10 lb coho in the same spot the day before. Green wool was working.

Cheers

GMac

This just in...Talked to a guy who talked to another guy at the riffle range, said the spot just above the bucket coho are bitting purple wool. I cant find purple wool anywhere? Does anyone have a line on purple wool?

Pass the Pack

Yep, no one likes a flosser:(, i saw 3 springs caught in the hour i was there, all in the mouth......go figure. For purple wool, go to the fabric section at Wal-Mart, or Michaels, and get a ball of yarn with purple.

GMac

Both springs and coho are now biting on anything brown on a 5ot hook , purple was what they were biting on yesterday. Try to keep this information to yourself.

you're both wrong its a big gob of peach wool that does it, but they only like to bite with a really long leader - must be gear shy I guess.

Its tough to fish gear properly when your flossing/snagging in white water above the fish ladder. A gill net works much better.

Its tough to fish gear properly when your flossing/snagging in white water above the fish ladder. A gill net works much better.

quote:Originally posted by Fish Nutz
How long is a long leader?
Over 3 feet is long, but on the Fraser they use up to 12 feet.[V]

kidphotors6.jpg

I hope no one is bonking chinooks as they seem to be low in numbers this year :(
as for flossing I bet higher than 50% fish caught are flossed

I would be embarrassed to be fishing the stamp where the was a high percentage of flossing is happening. Why contribute to the problem ..? Are people this greedy for a few fish? I haven’t fished for Coho in the stamp for years, it was fun when I was a kid, but now I see the impacts and what guys are doing so I wont go there Better off trolling the inlet for Coho that way I am sure they are not being flossed. Hate reading about big springs being whacked also., they cant taste good.

For those that are interested-- the latest escapement figures

quote:Hi everybody.

Chinook migration through Stamp Falls has improved over the past week with daily adult Chinook counts ranging from 303 to 651. Coho migration appears to be gradually declining with daily adult Coho counts ranging from 529 to 1090. Chinook adult escapement of 3,200 for the week brings the total 11,400. Coho adult escapement totalled 5,800 for the week bringing it's total escapement to 35,000.

Both Chinook and Coho jack numbers to this point are well below average with the chinook numbers being comparable to the 2006 return.

Please see attached for escapement details.

<<Stamp Falls fan out 2008.xls>>

If you are aware of anybody wishing to be on this distribution list (or if you wish to be removed) then please let me know.

Jeff Till
Salmon Technician/Thermal Marking Coordinator
South Coast/Stock Assessment
jeffrey.till@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
3225 Stephenson Point Road
Nanaimo.
B.C. V9T 1K3
Tel (250) 756-7226

note-- if you want to get on Till's email list, give him a call

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Ah the Stamp, i have some interesting observations about that river, 3 or 4 years ago, we went in september on a falling river post rains, we got some nice springs to BITE yes bite in a few areas. The Springs will bite like mosquitoes if found fresh(mostly lower river), However, the COHO, well i dont know what has happened to that river but my gawd they Just Dont Bite At All, 5000 a day were returning to Robertson Creek hatchery that time we were there and the dam things in the earliest of morning wouldnt take a single thing, i could walk across waves and i mean waves of fish and yet not one of those fish would bite. Ive talked to some very experienced Stampers and they all agree, PURE floss fishery for coho, dam dam shame but how or why is unknown to me at least

With you on this one!!!!!.

We jet the river all the time and have found that over the past three years that the Coho no longer are sporting.

If the water is up and the Chinook are fresh we get fair violent takes all the time. Same cannot be said for the coho though???????

Very frustrating. We saw thousands of fresh coho and not one touch over a two day period.

Same gear as years ago and the fish would hit very consistently using variouos methods.

????

I agree too, the coho used to just hammer the colorado's, ironheads and clousers etc!!
We drifted the upper Stamp (hatchery to Stamp falls) on Friday and Saturday and saw lots of coho but only landed 4 between 5 guys, that's not what we've come to expect from a river coho fishery.
We could see the coho follow the lures and flies but at the end they would just turn away.
The 2 I landed did indeed hammer my offering but it was dissappointing to see the rest of them come for a look and then bugger off.
Good thing we had the beautiful scenery and nasty white water to keep us amused...

Back