Stacking lines

Squire

For those experts on this forum that stack lines on their downriggers I have a question:
Do you put another swivel or bead in your downrigger cable to trigger the stop function or do you just manually stop it coming in and remove the higher release clip before starting the retrieve again. I’ve lost a couple release clips just by extending the boom while the line is down so I can see stacking lines requiring a few extras in the bag for me.

I usually add 2 auto stop beads if I know I’m going to stack.
first one triggers the rigger to stop, second one to prevent the clip from sliding up the braid
Thanks, I guess you decide the differential and move them together if you want to fish deeper or shallower? Or do you just move the beads for the shallower line when you change depths?

Thanks, I guess you decide the differential and move them together if you want to fish deeper or shallower? Or do you just move the beads for the shallower line when you change depths?
Yeah I usually know ahead of time if I’m going to be stacking and put them on according to that. ( sockeye, few guys on board, trying a bunch of different gear)

For the odd time I’m running something in the mud and want to fish other depths I’ll adjust spacing to that. ( trolling for Hali /salmon )

Use or make some stacking clips and you shouldn't loose any more. And yes double up on the stops

1627863342302.png

Have been stacking for a while, and a couple situations where you can run into trouble stacking on braid:

-weedy situation - weeds and the constant drag, can drag your stopper bead and/or your clip down your next stop whatever it is.

-too much pressure/top rod tightened too much - opposite from the above, with the top rod too tight it drags the clip up the braid to the stopper, and they get stuck together so doesn't stop until you hit the next stop whatever it is.

In both cases if you're using the HP riggers this can be trouble. With the 1106s not as much

Appreciate the insights. One thing I can see for sure is this system is for me and fishing buddies to try, not just me and the wife. I only put one rigger on and one line down when it’s just the two of us. We seem to get enough action to keep me occupied with the gear while she steers the boat lol

i dont use the normal wire snap clip ... use a smaller one from PNT on the braid one orange stopper 20-25' up only run naked spoon or bait on the higher one flasher on the bottom one ... only get a few tangles every now and then but lower the gear down slow also best to have weight retrievers on ..so you can pull downrigger cable in without moving the arm ....

pic is fishing 6 ----- 3 stacked per side oh and solo
IMAG1494.jpg

i dont use the normal wire snap clip ... use a smaller one from PNT on the braid one orange stopper 20-25' up only run naked spoon or bait on the higher one flasher on the bottom one ... only get a few tangles every now and then but lower the gear down slow also best to have weight retrievers on ..so you can pull downrigger cable in without moving the arm ....

View attachment 68837
Impressive but too much potential for chaos for me. I guess if the fish were fussy this would be a good way to zero in on them but if the bite is on, holy crap!

I went to a third downrigger and loving it! I am not loosing clips because of stops not working or me not paying attention, I don’t have to guess what rod the fish is bitting on and only one rod is out of the water when I need to check gear.

However I haven’t fished deeper than 100’ with the three riggers that might get a little tricky depending on tides.

I see this is an old tread but as per what Casper posted the auto release clip, do these actually work, do the get hung up on a bead that I have before the cannon ball and lower clip? I went from stacking to just running one and the upper bead was still on and stopped the rigger 30 feet early while having a fish on and didn’t notice, fish got tangled in the DR hand bombed it in but lost 60’ of main line. and why don't they make the clips buoyant neutral so rookies can get them back and keep fishing. I keep spares on board now that I have learned a lesson or 3 or 4 now.
thanks

View attachment 68837
Old post but I can't unseemly this 🤣 . Kudos to you!

Back