Spectacle Lake Brookies

TroutMouth

I've been having great results at Spectacle the last few weeks, but have yet to nab an elusive speckled. Anybody pulling them out of there anymore? What's your secret?

From what I recall the brookies were only in there because of the constant stockings from the Duncan hatchery. They stopped the stocking years ago and the population was never determined to be self sustaining. It was the same with Lois Lake and its famous population of dragon fly nymph crazed giant brown trout.

The brookies have been planted in several systems on the Island but they have never been able to take hold. I found that the brooke trout population in Spectacle really plumeted when the smallmouth finally showed up. I havent caught a brookie in Spectacle for 3 or 4 years now and I usually make a half dozen or so trips a year there.

My aunt and uncle used to own acreage near Spectacle lake. When I was a kid and we used to go there a bit there was a creek that runs out of there and I remember there were TONS of Brookies in that creek. I seem to remember there was a falls that the fish had gone over and were unable to get back to the lake.

And when I say there were TONS of fish, seriously.... hundreds of them in a small pool. It was a very small creek and the fish were all very small. Like 8 or 10 inches. It was the first time I ever saw Eastern Brook trout, I remember clearly how they were so different looking than anything else I had ever seen.

This was circa 1970 - 73ish I would say.

Later as an adult I went to fish the lake, early 1980's. I caught Brookies, on a white fly I remember.

Back