So you've hit a log...

Finished Business

In my limited experience I have not been aboard a boat, or met someone with a personal experience of hitting a log in the water. I am referring to stern drive boats specifically, but any story you are alive to talk about is welcome. I have seen a number of very spooky logs, hardly above the waters surface, both vertically bobbing and horizontally drifting. What would happen if we didn't see it and took a hit directly to the leg? I'm assuming the leg would be ripped off and you would be left with a hole in 'yer boat where the shaft comes through the transom assembly, leaving you to take on water through a 2" hole?

Assuming you hit one dead on....whats the best and worst case scenario??? I'm talking a log, say 6-12" diameter....

fb

You have to be going at a helluva clip to take the leg right off-when my buddy punched a log off Gibsons it was just a big clunk and we kept going-took a while for the problems to become apparent.

Running thru the First Narrows in my Aluminum O/B ( 19' w 225 Evinrude )- tide was running hard and I was 'prop walking' the tidal rollers and didn't see a 20' piece about 10" in dia. It was cross ways to me and luckily, I had just hit the throttle to launch the next wave so the bow was up 2-3' Missed the hull, but hit the front of the gearcase square on at about 20mph! BANG!
Blew the relief valve in the trim unit into several pieces of broken seat/stem and spring, along with making half an ounce of shredded o-rings. Motor kicked up hard and revved to the limiter before I could pull back. In the end, the gearcase was OK, the trim hyd control unit was about $650 for parts ( even cracked the hyd reservior )About 4 hours of labour had everything back together - except for my pants which never really washed clean again
I count that one as "best case"

by the sounds of your description Terry, upon impact the hydraulics gave way and blew out the control unit, acting almost like an (expensive) shock absorber in a way...

my idea of worst case would be the leg shearing off an the boat starts sinking with enough time to grab your nuts and a prayer lol. was wondeing if this actually happens?
Best case is you don't sink and just up buying new parts and Wranglers. ;)

hit a log just out of gibsons gap
more or less seen it at the last moment and tried to turn hard right which then just let the prop
ride up the log this was on my zeta inboard shaft drive

the hull stayed intact due to the super strong hulls
and prop was a total write off and even bent the 1" drive shaft 2"off center from the strut
lucky was close to home and a phone call got us towed back home and
a new prop/shaft/cutlass bearing and some work got me back going again ($1000 )

but thats the problem where we are
lots of wood in the water due to logging /booms
so keep your eyes peeled in howe sound ....lol

now the one that really catches people out is hitting bottom rocks???????
there the leg ripper

and been lucky not done that yet

I've heard all kinds of stories from guys who have smacked an unseen log/deadhead, usually right at the start of their out of town fishing trip. Both Alberni Inlet and Muchalet Inlet have claimed a few legs/props over the years. I now carry a spare leg with me when I head up to Nootka just in case. I leave it locked up in the back of my pickup so if something does happen I just have to get the boat back tothe ramp in Gold River and an hour later I would be back up and running.

Buddy of mine hit a log in the Alb Inlet. 18ft campion with a 115 Merc.

Boat us unusable now. Cracked the transom badly from the impact force and damaged the engine.

Another guy I know hit a log off French creek one time and bent the driveshaft on his inboard. This boat had through-hull driveshaft.

I hit rocks one time in Sproat Lake. Up Taylor Arm, southside, unmarked shoal.
16ft Vanguard with a 60 Johnny on it.

Popped the relief pistons and kicked the motor up. Dinged the propeller hub but the motor still ran so I got back to ramp. 300 dollars to fix and weld hub. This was in the early 90's.

Profisher, what kind of spare leg is it? If you fish Nootka in August and I lose my leg I may call you .....lol. I'm running a 225 Yam.....I carry a spare prop and bearing assemble always, so, could offer that up if it fits.....

we scooted the rocks just as you enter burrard inlet in a 16' runabout, heading along the shore up towards Belcarra. Boat took it like a champ, our egos in the face of sun-tanning girls, did not. Haha.

So it sounds like ripping it right off and sinking is pretty uncommon. That was my main concern and fear. Cuz damn those poles are scary!

enjoying the stories, even though they all come at a fair price...

I believe there was a thread on here last year about a boat nearly sinking after hitting a log out off Bamfield?

I hit a log about 8 yers ago near Pender Harbour - was running a Bayliner 2755 with Volvo I/O back then. Seas were rough and I did not see the log until it was too late to take any kind of evasive action - sounded really bad and the boat was instantly dead in the water with engine revving hard. I though we had lost the leg completely, but after quickly having put it in neutral and taking a few deep breaths, I tried putting it back in gear and we went on wihtout any issues, not even a bent prop. Still gives me chills when I think about it because we had 7 people on the boat - including 3 small kids - things could certainly have gone much worse.

I know a guy who was on a 30ft Bertram that sunk within 8 minutes of hitting bottom. :rolleyes:.... The driver went through kelp on a clearly marked reef on a low tide.

I've heard all kinds of stories from guys who have smacked an unseen log/deadhead, usually right at the start of their out of town fishing trip. Both Alberni Inlet and Muchalet Inlet have claimed a few legs/props over the years. I now carry a spare leg with me when I head up to Nootka just in case. I leave it locked up in the back of my pickup so if something does happen I just have to get the boat back tothe ramp in Gold River and an hour later I would be back up and running.
Hmmmm, Only captain I know that carried a spare leg was Ahab:D

FB. I hit a log on the way back from Bamfield this summer. It was floating up and down but luckily it was soft and rotten. I was going about 30mph just approaching outer Alberni harbour. I never saw it first hit the keel of the boat then the bullet of the motor. The motor (outboard) kicked up but not all the way out of the water. I immediately shut the power off and after the swearing ended took a look....luckily everyhting was there and there was no oil slick coming off the leg. I restarted and motored the rest of the way in. So what happened - skeg bent, anti cavitation plate bent, prop needed to be reconditioned, no damage to hull or transom except for minor scuff marks. I'm very fortunate the log was soft but still a very scary incident - I went through insurance for repairs. I've seen more than a few deadheads/logs in the inlet - fyi in Port you can get the red markers at the boat launch for marking ones you see.

I was on a guided trip at painters lodge with guys from work. We were on the 16' whalers with 50hp yamaha tillers. We were going wide open from one spot to the next and bang we hit a log straight on the lower unit. The motor shop up in the air the boat stoped dead. I was facing backwards and was fine. My buddy was also facing the rear but our guide name Bear he was a big dude. He was facing forward and flatten my buddy as he was launched out of the seat. Very scary but the boat and motor was fine and no one had to swim!!

I've hit several logs at full speed in the Fraser river over the years. Every time the outboard kicked up and there was no severe damage. Hydraulic trim/tilt units have relief valves that will give when you impact something like that. At least Johnson outboards do. I don't know about sterndrives.

One time I hit a log in the fraser and the cowling of my outboard went flying off. Luckily they float and I was able to retrieve it. ;). The fraser is full of half submerged logs and dead heads. You need to keep a sharp eye.

Good thread FB. I am paranoid of holes in the hull and especially that great big one that fit's an outdrive for an inboard. I hear where you are coming from and I hope you get the reasurance (looking good so far) your looking for.

You could always weld on a pod and put twin outboards on her.........................just sayin' :) . How is your gal coming along by the way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk to any marine mechanic and they have lots of stories. My buddy saw lots of boats come into the shop, some with just the leg missing and some with major transom damage. He always says to me get insurance thats what its for, just in case. Because its not if your going to hit one, its when.

I was on a friends boat a 26 foot walk around with a a outboard and we were leaving the sooke harbour probaly doing around 25 mph. As we rounded the spit we hit a log around 4 foot long 6 inch in dia and it jammed between the motor and the boat. The log acted like a rudder and we performed the fastest U turn on the boat you could imagine. We were all slung against the side of the boat. Thanks goodness there was nobody coming into the harbour as this would have been bad. The motor cut out after restarting all seemed to be ok. I would never have dreamed a boat could turn that fast and in such a short distance. So I again same when coming close to other boats be careful you do not know the hidden dangers

Pescador ...I don't think I would be able to help you with a loaner leg...I'm running a 1997 Yami 200 2 stroke. I have 4 legs total from engines I have bought for parts over the years. The engine on the boat has 95 hrs on it since it was rebuilt, another was just rebuilt and will be crated up and stored in my garage for the day I need it and I have a 3rd complete engine torn in a tote for parts. I do have one of thelegs and a couple of power tilt units for sale though.

Back