Smart Tabs vs Hydro Foils/Fins

burnsy22

I have a 17 foot Arima sea ranger that is a little butt heavy with twin 50 4 strokes yammies, two batteries and a full load of fuel all at the stern. I am simply looking to increase my quickness to get on plane and stay on plane at lower speeds....I looked at putting a pair of doel-fins on...or some other hydrofoil....or going with a pair of smart tabs...

Anyone have any experience with either or could point me in the right direction with some advice?

Thanks

Shane

It may cost a little more but i would go with the smart tabs.
I think the added performance would be better than you would recognize
from the hydrofoils.

Shane, If you do a little research on the Arima sites you'll see that a lot of guys highly recommend the smart tabs. I just use a fin on my motor and I like that I can adjust the trim as I see fit, however, it might be nice to have the no-brainer smart tabs that just work. The fin made a huge difference to both the time to plane and giving me the ability to trim the bow down in the chop.

A couple of things to consider is that I believe that the typical installation is inside the sponsons on either side of a single engine, but you might not have room with the twins. I would prefer to have a some levelling ability if I was going tabs, but I don't think you can do much with the smart tabs. I wonder if you could trim the motors slightly differently to get some levelling? If your anti ventalation plates on the motors are out of the water at plane then the fins would be out of the water and not affect your top speed, but still give you the lift when trimmed in.

Was down at S&G Power and they have a set of Smart Tabs and some Trim Tabs on their bargin table and I think the Smart Tabs were at a huge discount (almost 50%). Good deal for someone who needs them.

I had a set of smart tabs on 18 ft aluminum for about 3 years. They are great for getting the bow down on an butt heavy boat but don't really do much for side to side trim. One failed about a month ago and I bit the bullet and installed Bennet trim tabs. They are awesome!!! I can trim the boat any way I want. Bought on Ebay for $550 incl. shipping and installed myself.

Back