Small streams, resident cutts

kunni

Hi, so I have been fishing the lakes for quite a while, and it is very enjoyable, but as of recently I have become seriously addicted to super light weight fly fishing(1-3wt) in small streams for resident cuttthroat trout most of which are under 10inches. I hiked the Juan de fuca trail last summer and fished the small streams along the trail. I had decent success. Can anyone drop any hints on a few places that would have these tiny streams? Less than 20ft across? I prefer them to be as close to victoria, but places in cowichan etc aren't out of the question. I love hiking so a 10km+ walk is fine.

Kunni

Hi, so I have been fishing the lakes for quite a while, and it is very enjoyable, but as of recently I have become seriously addicted to super light weight fly fishing(1-3wt) in small streams for resident cuttthroat trout most of which are under 10inches. I hiked the Juan de fuca trail last summer and fished the small streams along the trail. I had decent success. Can anyone drop any hints on a few places that would have these tiny streams? Less than 20ft across? I prefer them to be as close to victoria, but places in cowichan etc aren't out of the question. I love hiking so a 10km+ walk is fine.

Kunni

Loss creek up by Renfrew is awesome for resident cutties. Go upstream from the highway.

nice, I might have to check that out. Do you know of anything a bit closer? I dont know when I am going to get to Renfrew

thanks

Kunni

thanks for the replies guy's, I will probably be making a trip out to sooke area in the next couple of weeks, you guys use light gear to target them right?

Kunni

Kunni

If you are going to be targeting the small streams, 20 feet and less in width, why not go ultra simple, long stick, line, and fly, just like the kids do.
And, if you want to be a big kid, and spend some money, there are some great looking tenkara rigs available.
http://www.tenkaratimes.com/home?gclid=CIPj9tGu77oCFcJ0QgodyxwAhA
http://tenkarausa.com/
Or, as a compromise, 20 feet or so of line on a fly rod, no reel, feed line thru eyes, tie it off at the butt. Will give you the opportunity to 'play' the fish.
Haven't tried it yet myself, but I do like the idea of the simplicity it offers.

i remember about 6-7 years ago a buddy of mine with property on millstream... we walked down and found a pool, not wider then 20 feet.. deepest part maybe 5 feet deep. TEEMING with cutthroat and rainbows, biggest was in the 20 inch range . Every cast was a fish. this was in the summer. let them all go, could not believe how many were in this pool. essentially they were stranded. Went down and chucked handful's of worms in after we were done and watched the frenzy. Pretty cool experience.

i remember about 6-7 years ago a buddy of mine with property on millstream... we walked down and found a pool, not wider then 20 feet.. deepest part maybe 5 feet deep. TEEMING with cutthroat and rainbows, biggest was in the 20 inch range . Every cast was a fish. this was in the summer. let them all go, could not believe how many were in this pool. essentially they were stranded. Went down and chucked handful's of worms in after we were done and watched the frenzy. Pretty cool experience.

sounds awesome, I would like to find a pool like that!

Time, I have seen that tenkara fishing and I must say it looks very interesting.

thanks

Kunni

Back