Skeena River Tyee Fish Counts----- fair to poor

Sharphooks

We heard about the majorly lackluster steelhead return on the Dean. Now the entire Skeena system sounds like it didn't escape the wrath of poor high-seas survival

Anybody have any up-dated intel on the Skeena?

You can go up there yourself and find out. You should know that the internet can't be trusted.

I've found that for the most part, this Forum can be trusted---otherwise, I wouldn't have posted. Thanks and noted your comment, however.

You can go up there yourself and find out. You should know that the internet can't be trusted.

Wow great reply Bear, super informative and not condescending at all for someone with 27 posts.

Sharphooks - the fishing is tough. I fished the Morice/Bulkley in mid August and it was fantastic but the last couple of weeks have been very slow. There are very few fish in the system and lots of top rods are either getting skunked or only catching a couple. Steeliehead is up there right now and based on his FB photos it's still pretty slow :D Although he did get at least one on the dry in the Bulkley. Some speculation that the Alaskan sockeye fleet has hammered the steel pretty hard this year. Hopefully it improves as I'm heading up this weekend.

Thanks for that BL. I've been doing that trip for many years---typically I don't pay attention to the Tyee test fishery but it's a bit disconcerting this year knowing that the numbers are waaay down despite the fact that there was a ZERO in-river Skeena sockeye fishery this summer.

Might be a high-seas survival thing. Ask an oceanographer and they'll say you can lay the poor returns of everything squarely at the feel of the PDO---Pacific Decadonal Oscillation

Good luck on your trip!

Do we need supply fishing reports to those that do not have enough interest to go fish and find out how the fishing is? Don't need to boost my ego by posting on open forums.

Mighty neighborly, mighty neighborly! Hope your truck don't get stuck. :)

Do we need supply fishing reports to those that do not have enough interest to go fish and find out how the fishing is? Don't need to boost my ego by posting on open forums.

There is a difference between helping a person out in a situation and supplying a fishing report.If you want to know what the fishing is like,go fishing. I have seen what the internet has done to fishing in several rivers when someone starts posting how good the fishing is.

I have every right to voice my opinion just like everyone else.

Get off your a$$ and find out for yourself.

Sounds like another 2 handed simms wearing swinger trying to protect the very secretive Skeena System...lol

Next they want GPS coordinates. Armchair quartebacks are poor excuses for fishermen.If you enjoy fishing,what someone else did or didn't do should not come into your decision to go fish.If you want someone to hold your hand and tell you where to cast you won't find it on the internet.

Using this forum to get info on planning a fishing trip is what this website is all about. He never asked for anything but updated intel on the Skeena LOL..

Remember bear that there is always " Shoulda bin here yesterday". :)

So just so I know the forum rules,if you want to participate in this forum you have to tell what river to fish,when to be there,what rock to stand on and what lure and colour you were using.

Who made these rules?

You use the website for what you want and I for what I want. I suggest that the information being exchanged should be to improve ones ability and knowledge of fishing.

So just so I know the forum rules,if you want to participate in this forum you have to tell what river to fish,when to be there,what rock to stand on and what lure and colour you were using.

Who made these rules?

You use the website for what you want and I for what I want. I suggest that the information being exchanged should be to improve ones ability and knowledge of fishing.

Hey Bear,

Ever thought that a whole bunch of people looking at this particular thread are no where close enough to just 'go fishing' on the Skeena and are not interested in what the fishing is going to be like in the next couple weeks, but are concerned and interested in the health of the system? The Skeena is a long way from where I regularly fish and am sitting right now, but I sure as hell care how the stocks are doing.

Bear, you need to relax. It is great that there are so many people who are willing to share on these forums. I didn't see anyone asking for coordinates etc. I don't fish the Skeena, but I know that is a large river, lots of space to fish.

The very best way to stir the pot in the fresh water forum is to post about somebody's favorite river.

Remember the thread last fall about the unnamed flow of water near the unnamed fishing town on an unnamed coast off an unnamed island in an unnamed province that may or may mot be BC?

That one got out of hand and the funniest part was the people who were all upset like Bear going SSSSHHHHHH!!! just drew more attention to the thread, the spot and the small population of an unnamed species of fish that you could target on this secret but not so secret flow of water.

I think what Bear means to say here is fishing is good, he wants it to himself and we should all stay the hell away because it might reduce his enjoyment. So I'm heading up there how about you? Bites on in the skeena and fish are up to 80 pounds!!!!

Carpool? Let's do this!

Is there one pool better than another? Any special rock to stand on? Just joking around! It is not just the river, lol. I feel the same way on the ocean when I have an awesome day, don't tell anyone, and boom, 20 boats there next day. How did they find out? But there is nothing wrong with general information, patterns used, depths, etc. I have learned so much from people on this site without needing the finer detail. Thanks for that...

Back